[ SHOWGSD-L ] German Shepherd history?

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Showgsd-l' <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:51:14 -0400

I am reading excerpts of a book on German Shepherds that was sent to me
and I came across these few sentences which I am forwarding to the
list.  I was wondering if anyone knows how true this is.  Barbara

Through the years, they have been used extensively as war and
police dogs. After WWII, their popularity waned due to their
association with Hitler and his reign of terror. It was during
these post WWII years that the British changed the dog's name to
Alsatian, and then later to Alsatian Wolf Dog, to remove the stigma
of having the word German in their name.