[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Geriatric Vestibular Disorder

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GSDdogmom@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:08:20 GMT

Too was diagnosed with the Vestibular Syndrome when she was about 10 (can't
recall exactly how old she was) and she had off and on episodes for the rest of
her life (she died at 12-1/2).
She was hospitalized once for the problem, I can't recall how long she had the
symptoms when she came home, but it wasn't very long.

Except for that one hospitalization, she had short episodes - she'd get a funny
look on her face, her head would tilt, she'd stiffen up, one leg would go up in
the air and she'd keel over.  I'd hold her until the symptoms subsided - seldom
longer than 15 to 30 minutes, sometimes they only lasted a minute or two.  When
she was steady on her feet she'd get up and walk away with no noticible side
effects, no head tilt, nothing unusual.

The first few times it happened it scared me to death, I thought she was having
a stroke, but we both soon learned to live with it as a minon inconvenience in
her daily routine.

Good luck with your pup!!

Gayle & the Hooligans!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=4294023 - Link to The
Hooligans Albums

-- GSDdogmom@xxxxxxx wrote:
A little over 3 weeks ago I woke up to find my 12 year old girl with what
was diagnosed as Geriatric Vestibular disorder.  According to my vet and  what
have read, everything is supposed to get better, but the head tilt will
remain.  It's now been 3 weeks but her gait doesn't seem to be  any steadier.
In
fact, she has fallen over a couple of times because she's  so tilted to one
side.  On the good side, her appetite is back to normal,  she plays with her
toys, and grumbles at the boys!

For those of you who have had dogs with this, how long did it take for your
dog to recover?  And how much did they recover?

Thanks for your help!

Lori Stewart
San Diego

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

Live your dreams.  Click here to find information on becoming a lawyer.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2221/fc/Ioyw6i4vAe57CsL3I3dnyLLC657YaokN8k1uuD2eyaDlgORCEgBFNw/