[ SHOWGSD-L ] Genuine Risk, oldest Derby winner, dead at 31 (off topic)

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:07:02 -0400

Genuine Risk, the oldest-living Kentucky Derby (G1) winner, died on Monday
morning at Newstead Farm in Upperville, Virginia. She was 31.

The farm said Genuine Risk died peacefully shortly after being turned out in
her paddock.

"Genuine Risk was an amazing horse with tremendous heart that lived a life
befitting a champion," owners Bert and Diana Firestone said in a statement.
"We are truly blessed that she was a part of our life, and we are deeply
saddened by her passing."

In 1980, Genuine Risk became the first filly in 65 years to win the Derby.
She is the only filly to hit the board in all three legs of the Triple
Crown - she finished second in both the Preakness Stakes (G1) and Belmont
Stakes (G1).

Genuine Risk also won the 1980 Ruffian Handicap (G1) and received the
Eclipse Award as champion three-year-old filly. The chestnut Exclusive
Native mare out of Virtuous, by *Gallant Man, finished on the board in each
of her 15 career starts, collecting ten wins and earnings of $646,587. She
was inducted into the Racing Hall of Fame in 1986.

Unable to transfer racing success into her breeding career, Genuine Risk
produced only two foals, and neither of them raced. She was pensioned in
2000.

With her death, 1987 Kentucky Derby winner Alysheba is the oldest living
Derby winner at age 24.