[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Genetic Markers in the Breeding Pool

  • From: Louise Cauthen <cauthenl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: psharp212@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Barb <santanagsd1954@xxxxxx>, elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:33:33 -0800 (PST)

Fortunately in this country of free choice, if breeders test their dogs, list
the good results, others with some issues could seek out clean dogs to try to
breed AWAY from problems rather than unknowingly double up on them.

  No one has ever suggested, that I have seen, that dogs with an 'issue' or
maybe two, be summarily 'eliminated' from gene pools.   But with tests for
certain problems, EVERYONE could have better options for selecting mates for
their dogs that are clean of 'those' issues.    This way, it would preserve the
lines from the dogs they cherish.   If normal inheritance rules govern those
'issues' then within a generation or two, the bad things could be eliminated
from their own breeding stock.

  That was the spirit of testing I was talking about - encourage testing,
encourage public listing on individual websites and maybe elsewhere so that
everyone can make healthier choices for their lines.   It was not done in a
spirit of accusation, or BLAME, only HOPE for the future of the breed.
  Louise

Paula Cooke <psharp212@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Who would decide which animals to cull and for what problems?
If we find genetic markers for cancer, DM, all types of bloat/torsion,
epilepsy, hypothyroidism, dysplasia, etc., and we remove all these animals
AND their siblings from the breeding pool, I wonder what will be left.

I remember when breeders culled all whites in their litters. Funny, but, we
still have whites available, being successfully bred, shown, and trained.

I once asked Barbara if she had known that Man O'War carried a genetic
marker for bloat if she would have neutered him. She said that yes, she
would have. All I could think of was what a loss that would have been to
the GSD of today! I had a Man O'War granddaughter years ago. I would not
give up that memory nor experience nor love for all the tea in China!!

Be careful what you wish for.

Paula, 280 days and counting