[ SHOWGSD-L ] Garmin vs Tom Tom

  • From: "Jodi Distilli" <djdistilli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:24:57 -0500

Garmin.  I have two -- the Garmin Street Pilot, which my husband took from me,
so then I went and bought myself the Garmin Nuvi.  My Nuvi is model 350 or 360.
 It's a $400 unit.  I mention price because I strongly believe you get what you
pay for with GPS. I have heard so many people say that you still get lost with
them.  Not with my Garmins have I ever!!  I'm buying my son one for Christmas
and will get him a Garmin.
It depends on the chipset. That's what you're paying for.  Maps, too.

With Garmin if you lose satellite it has a memory so it will still get you
where you're going. That's important, although I haven't lost satellite in
years with mine, so I guess whatever has changed with that has worked, up in
the sky I presume.

My Street Pilot is about 5 years old - whenever the Northeast Futurity was in
Albany was when I bought it. My husband uses it every day, all day long and
it's going strong.  He even leaves it in the car overnight in the cold and hot
weather.

My Nuvi - about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It lives in my pocketbook.
You can change the language, which is fun. Change the look of the car you use.
Change to a guy voice, girl voice.

It has "Home" function, which you will set. You can lock it so if someone
steals it, they can't use it, or find your home. Not that we care about that
with GSDs. Some people set their home down the block.

It has "Find" function, to find gas, all sorts of shopping, sites to see,
community stuff, like cops, church, food. It will say "what kind of food," and
you pick your cuisine and go from there, or you can just select "all food."
What Devin and I do is set it to check attractions and it will constantly scan
and update as you are driving, so 10 miles might show something else, and then
it shows with a green arrow, say, 3 miles that way, for example.

It has a saved location function. For example, I just leave the Harrisburg show
in there under saved, because I know we go there all the time for shows. I
always put my hotel in, then after shows we go wherever we want and never worry
about not finding way back.

SD card for photos and music. Bluetooth if you want. It's a great unit. Let me
know if you have any questions.  Remember, too, that you will update the maps
on these. My map cost $100 last year; not sure what they are this year. You can
check that on Garmin website. I will update mine again when 2010 comes out. I
seem to be updating every other year.

Another BIG PLUS is that it doesn't have to be plugged into car or wall to
work.  There is an internal battery that will give you about 4 hours. Comes in
handy. I needed that a couple times in "emergency," like if youre driving with
someone else, in their car, or you're out and about and think hey, let's go
here. I use it in Dickson City and Scranton all the time.  Road closed, no
problem, just pull it out :)

Jodi Distilli
www.dinovagsd.com