[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Gaiting vs. Pacing

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:47:16 -0400

Pacing is easier!? I have dealt with my male GSD, a total pacer and now a
Wheaton, who also loves to pace.? Pacing is easy.?They don't have to reach or
drive.??Maybe it's a lazy thing, tho the Wheaton is far from lazy.? Once you
get the dog to gait naturally, they enjoy moving out.? But, the training can be
frustrating.? My boy is lazy.??He lets the girls?do the zoomies while he waits
for them and does a short chase.? Ok, that's also smart.??Why should he wear
himself out when he can do a short chase and then find some shade? LOL!???
I sort of think about the horses with the short, choppy trot.? It can scramble
your brains.? But, when you get that nice, easy trot, you can ride for hours.?
I have worked with some Quarter horses like that.? It took training to get that
nice easy trot, as the short, choppy trot seemed easier for them.??

I also think about runners.? I have a short stride.? I had to train myself to
reach and move out more to accomodate the GSD and also to compete in running
relays.? (OK, that was back when I could run 10K's, LOL!)??

I don't think there is one specific reason for pacing.? The upside is that when
you train the animal or human to move out and make it natural, rarely does
pacing become an issue again.

Laura???