[ SHOWGSD-L ] GUN testing/ LONG & opinionated...

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <elg440@xxxxxxx>, "EDEN HALL" <GSDHALLMARK@xxxxxxx>, <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:08:06 -0700

OK......here is the problem I see with all this discussion about "gun testing"
and
"spooky" dogs.

FIRST.....if a dog is gun shy....you can "condition" them to the sound of some
guns,
but they
will still always be on the verge of bolting... over fireworks, thunder and any
loud
pop or any
gun....they just learn to control themselves while you are attached to their
lead.
THAT'S IT!!
You will NEVER EVER get them over being sound shy!!
GUN SHY is not the same as SPOOKY!!    Some spooks are not gun shy at
all...thunder
doesn't bother them, fireworks don't bother them, guns don't scare them....but
they
are STILL
SPOOKS!!!
110 dogs at the National that pass the gun test will not make them mentally
sound.
How
they handle the approach of a friendly stranger or a weird stranger or even a
little
running
squealing kid or any outside pressure that they have not been "conditioned" for
 is
the
story of the dog's true character.
GUN SHY or sound shy or touch sensitive is a whole different problem .  These
dogs can
make
great family pets, great watch dogs....and even be very protective as long as
no one
shoots
a gun.......<G>.... or it never rains and they don't celebrate on New Years and
the
4th of July!

GUN SHY, or SOUND SHY or touch sensitive dogs cannot be used for any
SERVICE....they
will never hold up under Police work, Guide Dogs, Search and Rescue or even
being
responsible for sheep out in the field as ONE gun shot or one boom of thunder
and
they are
gone......it's Katie bar the door!    Living with a family and even barking and
protecting a home
is not a problem......as long as it isn't in the middle of a thunder storm, no
guns
and no fireworks
going off.    TWO SEPARATE PROBLEMS.....both still unsound....but NOT SPOOKY on
one.

One more thing......those complaining about dogs that are "too
friendly".....don't
forget before
you condemn a show dog for this.....we raise them to be VERY friendly....and
that also
does
NOT TAKE AWAY THEIR PROTECTIVE INSTINCTS!!!   A very VERY friendly dog can still
be the most protective dog in the arena!   Aloof has nothing to do with
protection!!
It is
the preferred character according to the Standard....but does not mean the most
protective
dog is the aloof one.

It appears we have a lot to learn about true SOUND character in a German
Shepherd Dog.
Until we get all this right....and truly understand the difference between TRUE
SOUNDNESS
and conditioned training and a whole different set of problems like touch
sensitive or
sound
shy which is more of a physical problem as compared to a truly MENTALLY UNSOUND
GSD ...how in the world do we expect to solve the problems???

We have gun tested our dogs for years since day one of being in GSD and
before.....and
we use a  30.06 or a .33  NOT a 22 Caliber.....<G>
Over the years in the past we have had a couple of gun shy dogs and they were
completely
100% sound until it thundered or fireworks.    Our first GSD was VERY UNSOUND
and she
was not gun shy at all........solid as a rock during fireworks, gun testing,
and
thunder.   ONE
has nothing to do with the other.....but does have to do with using the dog in
any
service work
and remember people........this Breed was bred for service!!   It is ALL
important.......<G>

It's the same physically.   Until we understand how one problem causes another
in the
movement or stamina we will have a problem.   Good feet matter as much as a
good
front...

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

,
                                ************************************>
>Evan Ginsburg writes:
> Anyone who watches the dogs at the national can see temperament.
>
> We don't need to shoot off a gun. Besides, anyone who wants to can gun train
> a dog. Just because they do it at the Seiger Show does not make it better.
>
> Any good judge can judge temperament by knowing the breed, looking at the
> dogs, and approaching them. It doesn't take a gun to tell us what dog is
> sound. >
> Besides, unless you use a shotgun at full choke, what do we really know
> about the dog's reaction?> > > Evan_ Asgard German Shepherds_ >
> d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Come on Evan....> I've trained my dogs to fool the judges into believing they
> have
 good > temperament. They do it so well, they have even fooled me now....