[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDs & small children/people

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:27:04 -0700

One day I had at least seven small children running down the street towards
me and my GSD. They were yelling, "Oh look there goes that dog again!" I
know they wanted to pet my shepherd. So I didn't say anything & just put my
hand up like "Slow down & stop running!" My dog was only a year old & I
didn't want the little people to frighten him. It worked well except for two
of the more "wild ones" but it turned out to be a good experience for my
puppy. And I taught the most of them how to approach & pet a strange dog.
Since I don't have grand children I have no one to practice on. LOL And for
me, the shows have always been the good experiences with the public wanting
to touch my dogs. Just lucky I guess.

I have a great story about my late wGSD, Lily & kids. I was walking down the
street with her one day & here comes two young boys (possibly brother's)
walking a Terrier. The boy's were about six and ten. When I got closer their
Terrier started barking which brought their attention to us getting closer
to them. The youngest of the boy's said, "Oh look at the white Great Dane!"
And the older boy said, "Don't be stupid! That's not a Great Dane. That's a
wolf & lets get out of here!" Still laughing about that. Koda's Kathy

Interesting - I have something different happen always with me - it's AWAY
from the dog shows - people comment on what beautiful dogs I have and when I
ask if they want to pet them, they gladly do, and encourage their small (and
I mean SMALL!) children to as well, which my dogs LOVE!!  But - why is this
AWAY from a dog show?  I've experienced all of the things you have posted
about Diane - why is it at the SHOWS they get the "bad rap" but John Q.
Public LOVES to pet my dogs?

Gail Bauman
Liebchen German Shepherds
Home of:
SEL EX CH Liebchen's Boogie Wonderland, OFA EX
Liebchen's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (major pointed)
Liebchen's Clair De Lune (ch pointed, BOB)