[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD's in the UK

  • From: "pmick12" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:23:06 -0500

    The dogs in the rest of the world may not look like OUR GSDs, but they
are not all crippled.  Most of the the GSD world outside North America
probably believes that the American show Shepherd does NOT fit the
standard...but that is not the issue here, and please don't make it so.

      It should be made clear that the dogs chosen to be on the videos are
NOT representative of the breed(s) as a whole.  Extreme examples were shown
for shock value...a typical AR trick...that is what caused the public
outcry, the withdrawal of sponsor support from Crufts, and the KC's
believing some kind of action had to be taken....to prevent dogs like those
in the videos from becoming commonplace, and to keep dogs like those from
being in the public's mind as typical.
     There happen to be many sound and pretty German Shepherds in the UK, as
elsewhere in the world...they are NOT all crippled, which is, in all
likelihood, why the club did not take some of the actions the KC suggested.

Still, I'm very happy you watched the video and could see what had people
upset across the pond.

Peggy