[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDs in the Group Ring

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:22:28 -0500

WOW! Here's a topic that causes discussion..

Here's some thoughts for everyone after reading it:

1. Not all dogs who win at specialties are great dogs.. I look through the
Review and I think to
   myself - straight shoulders, too short of a back, cow-hocked, etc... And
these are what win at
   specialties? A specialty, big ring, outdoors do not make for better judging
all the time.
2. Peggy hit the nail - JOIN AN ALL-BREED CLUB!!! All-breed clubs need workers
all the time! Join a
   club and make things better for your breed.
3. Some people are going to be offended with this one, but people bad mouth
all-breed judges not
   liking GSDs.... Maybe it isn't the dogs, maybe it's the people who with the
attitudes of not liking
   all-breed shows, alienate the judges.
4. Someone posted about all-breeds being political... From what I can see, in
this breed, Specialties
   are MUCH worse...

Several people mentioned sizes of rings... This one I will agree with as we
have the same problems with dals.. HOWEVER, a correct moving dog with a PROPER
gait, should also be a coordinated dog , am I correct?  If a dog is
coordinated, they should be able to handle any size ring easily... This might
also mean that one might have to CONDITION their dogs.. Some of the biggest
flyers in dals have also been incredibly coordinated and able to handle little
rings, no problems - a properly built and conditioned GSD should also be able
to manage some smaller rings.

If people want judges to use good representatives at all-breed shows, maybe
they should start showing good representatives at all-breed shows so judges get
to see them.

BTW..... The Midwest BIF winner finished his championship EASILY at all-breed
shows and has several breeds and group placements (and
owner-breeder-handled)...... A wonderful ambassador for the breed. I know an
awful lot of people in other breeds who really like this dog because he has his
head screwed on right and is a beautiful representative of the breed - maybe
not everyone's perfect dog, but he looks and acts like a GSD.

It can be done....JMHO..
Jess M.Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC,
TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC
The i?m Talkathon starts 6/24/08.  For now, give amongst yourselves.
http://www.imtalkathon.com?source=TXT_EML_WLH_LearnMore_GiveAmongst