[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDCA herding nationals

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sandy Moore <sandystockdog@xxxxxxxxxxx>, DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, GSDHerding <GSDHerding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tending <TendingDogs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 09:29:44 -0700 (PDT)

HI Sandy,

Would it not make more sense to send your question to the herding lists rather
than to the GSD show list?? If it is the conformation show exhibitors you want
to reach, then fine. But does that not leave out the GSD herding exhibitor who
herds and does not do conformation?? Why not put this out to people who are
actively training and trialing their GSD and putting their heart and soul into
perfecting their team's performance?

This event should not just be another herding trial - it should be out NATIONAL
herding trial. If I want just a herding trial, I can have my choice of lots of
trials a lot closer to home that are GSD friendly, offer all courses and are a
lot cheaper to get to.

This is also not an "A vs C" debate. Do GSDs excell in A course - you bet. and
they can do ducks and cattle and what have you. But if you want to educate
someone about why the standard calls for that gait, that balance, that
trainability, that character -- well it comes from the historical use. When the
National finally again has a facility and sheep that can demonstrate the
course, it seems it is in the best interest of the breed and the parent club to
"encourage not discourage". Imagine seeing one of our GVs out there
demonstrating how what we see int he ring translates to the graze. There are
more and more breed champions out working and when you see them in the ring and
then in the field, you wish they would judge the show out on c-course. You see
the dog free of the lead, moving with purpose, displaying pride and character
-- it is pretty spectacular. Again, it is not anti A or B, but it is just an
expression of why I fell in love with this course.
 Put a spectacular show dog out there doing good work and you will think you
died and went to heaven. Isn't that what a NATIONAL is about - exhibiting the
breed and showing off what makes this breed special? You know -- EDUCATION??

I am not discounting any other herding -- any time someone wants to work their
dog in any performance event I support them wholeheartedly. I am saying be fair
to all and take advantage of this opportunity to display this unique breed
doing its historical job by encouraging GSD exhibitors put out the effort to
get themselves and their dogs to Texas.

Ruth