[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDCA board/show site action

  • From: Lindabankhead@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 19:32:01 +0000

I am obviously a bit close to this situation.  I spoke to my Mom when it
happened, and I must say that  the way it was done was thoughtless and rude.
She found great show sites and really took the position seriously, taking into
consideration the many venues. She followed the wishes of the membership,
exhibitors, handlers, and spectators.
I know how hard she worked to save the club money- THOUSANDS of dollars that
the club can apply towards other efforts due to her negotiating the sites, sod,
hotels, banquets, ........ She lined up a great future for us to attend for
many years across the country.

I will tell you that she was in tears because of the way she was told and the
immediate announcement at the board meeting.  Forewarned was not in the
etiquette- it was a last minute blow and certainly had the appearance of
thankless.

I let her know that she did such a good job that she eliminated her own
position.  It is a shame that the Budget and Finance person (s) did not have
the grace to give thought in how the decision was presented.

 I know my Mom spent countless hours finding show sites.  Many sites she drove
to, others she flew out to.  She got stuck in airports, drove through horrible
weather conditions, spent hours behind a wheel, worried about her own dogs and
my Dad when on the road, negotiated contracts, researched show sites, talked to
local conventions, worked tirelessly to save the club money, and put the
membership as her priority.

If you ever question why people hesitate to serve on the board, or why people
quit the board or never run for a second term; here is a great example.
Against policies and procedures may be the case, I see it from my heart.

Thankfully my Mom has the fortitude to stand tall (it helps that she is over 6
foot LOL) and she will always put the members above the small handful of people
who shamelessly did not think of her feelings in the way it was presented.
Shame on them.  In the end my Mom is the winner. She was given a mission and
she did it with gusto, efficiency, and class.  Linda Bankhead

Evan writes:
As everyone should know, I was at the meeting and this is how I heard it. It
was explained that the Budget and Finance Committee decided to combine the
two functions, effectively eliminating Joan's responsibility.

I was told that no one spoke to Joan before the meeting, although she was
informed the night before that they would no longer be using her for the site
selections.

I have never known one committee to remove a job or position before, and
from what I have read in the By-laws that is a function of the board. However,
I was told by one person that the Budget and Finance Committee voted to do
this and it was unanimous, and then I was told by another person that some of
the Committee voted against it. It might need to be presented to the board to
follow our by-laws.

I am sure that Joan and the board will work this out. I do know that Joan
was surprised and that she would prefer to keep the job. I don't know if you
call it being fired or not, but maybe downsizing is the answer or
reallocation of assets. There must be a title that fits.

I have heard Joan use an entirely different phrase for what was done.

Have faith in our board. From Gary at the Budget and Finance Committee to
Lew as President, all the way to the other board members, they are all trying
to do what they feel is best for our club. I believe they will find the
resolution to this disagreement. They all work hard for our club, and whoever
is
willing to take on such a difficult job will continue to put forth extreme
efforts to see that we are represented. We all owe them a debt of gratitude
for the time and work they give us.

Let's all relax and allow them to resolve this.