[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDCA as a Society

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bedkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 10:40:21 -0800 (PST)

That was very well written.  I will only disagree with one point.  In societies
all do not have equal status, but rather a minimal status that can only be
elevated for the good of the society, leadership positions.  We all have one
vote, no matter who we are, but we give that one vote in many cases to a ruling
party, our board of directors.  This being a democratic system, if we don't
like who WE put in, WE vote them out, as both individuals, with our vote, and
as a whole, or at least majority.

  We also give certain decisions over to our governing bodies, to make it
possible for the rest of us to do our daily routine, or we would all be
spending at least one day a week voting for so many things.

  Now, we do not agree with a decision our board made.  This group, with about,
I am sort of guessing, 50 people who are in hot discussion over the matter, has
a very strong opinion.  This group should unite under a single banner, and use
the rules to affect change.  They need to propose what they want to change, in
whole, every issue surrounding this one decision should be brought to the
attention of every single memeber of the club, including any that this group
may feel are in violation of the ideals they stand for.  Let the society know
fully what has transpired and what this group would like to see done about it,
again, all aspects of the issue.

  Then let the system do its' job and this issue will be resolved to the
satification of the majority of the club's members.  And the minority will have
to weigh each for themselves how this will affect them.

  sheila
Kay Reamensnyder <bedkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Clubs are miniature societies.......they are created by people with a common
goal.
In every way, our German Shepherd club equates to our larger society in general.
The American Kennel Club came into existence because of the dedicated efforts of
individuals who loved dogs.........who wanted to "hold safe" all those
attributes that made
each breed unique. It was required that each breed develop it's own "sub
society" to
become the guardian of that Breed.

Any Social group that comes into existence can only do so by bringing together
all
aspects of their common goal and by agreeing on how that goal might be reached.
In the case of Breed Clubs, one important aspect is developing a "Standard", or
blueprint, of its Breed. Each and every breed standard has been developed by
"consensus of opinion" and "compromise".

Once that "Standard" is accepted by the societal membership (in general), those
members
must come upon an agreement on how to maintain their organization and to
protect their
goal. As a satellite society, clubs in general tend to follow the guidelines
set up by the
"parent" organization. This seems to be generally accepted by all Breed clubs,
with
enough subtle variation to fit each breed's individuality.

There are certain requirements that maintain this system:

ALL members must agree to follow the commonly accepted guidelines...there can
be
no exceptions.

ALL members must have "a say" in how guidelines are developed and how they are
administered/enforced.

ALL members must be willing to compromise on occasion and work with the
"majority".

When some member decides to function outside the guidelines, they should be able
to justify their "decision" to the membership and accept the possibility of
"rejection".

And, most important, to be a strong and resolute society, ALL members must
contribute.
All members must have equal status. All members should be involved in the
decision
making process.

The continued existence of a Society depends on the willingness of it members
to maintain
the goal of that society......and it can not depend on just a few members. When
people sit
quietly by and "let some else do it", their societal goals veer from the
original path.
The GSDCA was created to maintain the characteristics of the German Shepherd
Breed.
If someone wants to be a member of this Group, they should be willing to work
towards that
end. The GSD is a versatile breed and every aspect of that versatility should
be enjoyed
and honored. However, the first and foremost commitment should be to the German
Shepherd
Dog and the organization which is its guardian. If we are not willing to do
that, this breed, and all
other breeds will suffer.

---Kay Reamensnyder and Betty Doerpinghaus
---bedkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
---VISIT OUR WEBSITE:http://home.earthlink.net/~bedkar