[ SHOWGSD-L ] GSDCA Herding Trial

  • From: terranorte@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:18:18 -0400

What a nice herding trial!  Cathy Lowe and her charming husband Lobo allowed
the GSDCA and retinue into their home for a lovely weekend of herding. They
worked so hard to be accommodating to the GSDCA and provided - ample parking,
beautiful ambiance, and reasonable stock. The sheep for the A, B and tests were
probably more reactive then most were accustomed to working, but if the dog and
handler gave them room - they were willing to settle. The C course flock were
more then willing to stick together and move as a flock. While the sheep
appeared to be light - Cathy and her young Aussie showed time and again - their
reasonableness and manageability.

I competed in both A and C contributing 4 runs, and on day one - neither of my
dogs passed. It was not due to the stock, it was due to 10 hours in the car and
not working other peoples stock enough. Everyday is a new day and if you only
train and trial at the same facility - your dogs generally are at a great
disadvantage somewhere else.

On the B course - if your dog runs straight up the middle - the stock is going
to fly in different directions. You must have a wide outrun if you are going to
be successful on the B course.

The biggest issue in the test classes was handler errors. The handlers let the
stock get past them and spend too much time fighting with their dogs while the
stock vacated the area, which in turn revved the dogs up and the chase was on.
When the leader of the flock and the wolf lock eyes, the rest of the flock
decides the leader is going to become lunch for the wolf and they would do best
hightailing it in a different direction. Tests are just that - tests and this
weekend the results showed that the dog & handler teams need more practice
before heading to the trial arena.

The results on day 2 were much better for the test classes. Dogs and people
were better about reading the stock.

I am very happy to say that Norah's (Terra Norte's Midnight Serenade, HSAs) C
course run went better and we qualified for our 2nd Started C Course leg and
went Reserve High In Trial to a very nice Advanced dog and handler team from
the A course. Unfortunately - she was one of those Intermediate A dogs who
didn't qualify. Running straight up the middle does not provide for a
successful run.

Special thanks to the Herding Committee - Theresa Royer and Debbi Humble in
particular. Theresa and her crew worked very hard to put on a first class event
- this is a tremendous feat since they didn't have a local member to help with
the logistics. Debbie Humble should be nominated for member of the year, she
took a week of vacation and drove in several days before the trial to design
and build the C Course. Unlike the other 2 courses that have set parameters -
the C course is customized into the topography of the site. This means mowing
or tilling in borders, building obstacles (pen and bridge), etc. Debbi designed
a well thought out course that the sheep agreed to follow. Also Debbi and her
dog assisted in a fabulous demonstration of the C course on Saturday afternoon.

When I first stated hosting herding trials at our place - I used to worry alot
about the percentage of qualifying runs as an indication of stock workability.
But a wise AKC judge pointed out that it is the dogs & handlers who have the
greatest control on qualifying scores. Often the entries of a particular trial
are at the beginning of the learning curve of their trial careers - first time
in the test arena or a recent move-up to the next level.

Now it is time to change gears and trade my stock stick for my 12 ft
conformation lead.......

~ Val Manning
   Terra Norte' GSD
   Rancho Terra Norte'