[ SHOWGSD-L ] GSDCA Communications Problems - Was Renewal Problems

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ruth Scheubler" <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 14:25:26 -0800

I trust that you are right about the communications - nothing is worse for
any democratic system than things done behind closed doors- even good,
positive things look bad when done in secret. A strong group is strong
because members fel they belong and members who feel that way will also help
where needed. We have lots of talented people within the membership and most
would love to help in some manner to make our club better.
So I am hopeful and looking forward to a great future for the club.
 Ruth

I agree Ruth.....
Except I don't want the member to just 'feel'  they belong. Ownership of
anything happens when we are each a part of the process, the work and the
outcome.

I want to encourage every member to look over the list of committees on the
GSDCA web site and think of what you can offer to the club and what you
might like to contribute to the breed through one of those committees. Then,
on Jan. 1, send an email to Gail or all of the board members and offer your
services. I am not announcing anything, but get ready - every committee will
be open for new input and participation...

And, get ready for this....
I had a good friend who worked his way up from patrolman to Chief of Police
in Reno. He than ran for Sheriff of our county and won. I asked one of the
command officers what it was like in the transition... He laughed and said,
"WOW It is like someone pulled the plug on the 110 volt circuit and plugged
us into 220."

I am not going to be critical of our boards in the past. You have to
understand that they are volunteers coming from the membership, just like
you and me. They have jobs, businesses, - lives! They meet quarterly and
attempt to understand the issues and vote to meet the needs of the moment.
Sometimes they understand perfectly and sometimes they do not have all the
facts. They communicate with the available resources and rely on committee
Chairpersons and members that are sometimes efficient and sometimes not. We
do not have a central office with files and staff and systems nailed down.
We are a scattered band of volunteers, working from home on computers like
everyone on the list, and communicating face to face only quarterly.

What you can expect to change is the context of the club and the
communications. Our new President is not geared to react to issues but to
create issues; not oriented to wait for an agenda but to create a purpose
and lead. It's the old 110/220 thing. The question is, can we all keep
up????

In a few years we will look back at the tone of our club and hopefully we
will be pleased that we not only survived, but prospered. So get ready....
It is not the Board who calls the shots and determines the direction of the
club entirely - it is each of us as members and our active role in taking "a
handful of purpose."

If someone were to put you in charge of this club, what would you do, what
would you create, what would be your lasting contribution to the breed?
That is not just an exercise in stimulating thought - that can be the
reality. The opportunity for each member to actively participate and
contribute is here.... Everyone - get ready to get busy!
Dave