[ SHOWGSD-L ] GSD with lumps in cheeks/sneezing - HELP

  • From: "LuAnn Kennedy" <brendangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:03:34 -0500

Hello everyone.
Got a call from the owner of a GSD (Tasha) I placed at 8 mos. old and she can't
keep her anymore.  Originally Tasha was at a local shelter and I pulled her and
had her spayed and decided to find her a home, as she and my male didn't get
along - fighting.  After I talked to the owner a few weeks ago, I told her I
would try and find Tasha a home.  In the meantime I hadn't touched base with
her for a week or so and she took her to another local shelter and left her
there.  Well, I know the shelter director and the owner gave her a different
story than she gave me about why she can't keep her.  Tasha's toenails were
extremely long and shots weren't followed up.

Tasha has some lumps in her both of her cheeks and I'm worried it might be
cancer.  She is also sneezing.  The former owner did smoke heavily and Tasha
was being crated most of the time after the owner got a 2nd job and was working
midnight shifts.  Long story, but I feel really guilty for putting Tasha in a
home like this - well you know everything was fine before and I talked to the
owner and someone who knows her, but......things happen.  I feel sick about
this.

Has anyone had dogs with the lumps?   I can't imagine that it would be an
abcess, but I guess it's possible.  I'm also worried about the sneezing - a
little raspy too. Hope it's not kennel cough starting or another disease from
not giving shots.

HELP.  I have an appt. with my vet this afternoon, but would like some input.

LuAnn