[ SHOWGSD-L ] GSD missing in White Rock Lake, TX, area...

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD-L <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:18:01 -0400

Subject: White Rock Lake (TX) area, lost rescue dog/ please forward
If you know anyone, or know anyone who might know anyone, in the White
Rock Lake area, please forward this to them.

Ivan is a four-year old sable German Shepherd Dog who escaped from
his new owner at about 6:30 p.m. on Friday, April 1 about two blocks
east of the intersection of Glasgow with Abrams Road. This area is
south of, and almost adjacent to, the Lakewood Country Club, which
itself runs along the south side of Gaston Avenue, then southeasterly
next to  a  street named  Country Club and then westerly on both
sides of LaVista until it intersects with Abrams Road. My guess is
that the Lakewood Country Club and golf course encompass 20 to 30
acres. White Rock Lake is about one mile northeast of that part of
heavily travelled Gaston Avenue which is adjacent to the Lakewood
Country Club.

Weighing about 80 lbs., Ivan quickly became a favorite with us at
Camp Wolfgang, following his rescue from the Dallas shelter on Forney
Road. He is  partial to women, reflecting in my view there having
been a man in his prior life who was not a positive factor. After he
was treated for heartworms and the other customary vet work
completed, however, we had thought that he had become somewhat
comfortable with men and strangers in general -- thanks to a
meaningful time investment by both us and volunteers. He is a gentle,
calm dog who in my opinion would bite either not at all or only if he
were consumed by terror.

Ivan left for his new home on the afternoon of Friday, April 1, had
his first meal there and was on his first neighborhood walk when his
new owner stopped to introduce Ivan to a neighbor. As the neighbor
was about to pet Ivan on the head, he lurched backward, leaving
behind his fur-saver collar with Camp Wolfgang tag and quickly
outdistancing his new owner, who is heartbroken -- as are we.
Obviously, Ivan's wanderlust and/or his insecurity with new settings
are dimensions of his personality which I sensed  either not at all
or not as fully as with hindsight I would have liked. And, to be
frank, I have never known a dog to escape from a properly sized fur-
saver collar, which is one of the reasons why they are used on all
Camp Wolfgang dogs.

Ivan was seen on the Lakewood Country Club golf course at about 9:30
a.m. on Saturday, April 2, and there have been several reported
sightings of him along the street named Country Club and in the area
just south of the Lakewood Country Club. When trapped next to a pond
by golf course grounds keepers yesterday morning, Ivan eluded capture
by swimming across the pond. Frankly, I am fearful that Ivan will
allow himself to be caught only by me or Lori Kinney, the Camp
Wolgang kennelmaster.

Flyers about Ivan have been posted widely, Lakewood Country Club
personnel have been alerted (as have both Dallas shelters and many
people in the neighborhood) and the adoptor has been constantly
searching, as has a couple living nearby who themselves have a Camp
Wolfgang dog. I personally last drove the search area until about 1
a.m. this morning. However, it needs to be acknowledged that Ivan has
not been physically sighted for about the last 27 hours, so that he
could have moved outside the search area.

Camp Wolfgang will pay a $200 reward, on a no-questions asked basis,
to the person or persons who provide information directly resulting
in our regaining custody of Ivan. Please call me at any hour --
214/520-7000 or 214/535-6600 -- if you have information about Ivan's
whereabouts.

Also, please disseminate this appeal as broadly as is possible.

I thank you in advance for any and all assistance you can extend.

Wally Swanson

Wally Swanson
Camp Wolfgang
6234 FM 879