[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD judges

  • From: "L. Hartten" <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:59:26 -0700

On 11/27/07 5:00 PM, David Fritsche wrote:
>> When you make the dog walk (and I mean walk) there are faults that can be
>> seen that way.
>> Also if a dog has true suspension you will see it and a dog that does not
>> you will see there is
>> no suspension.
>>

> Help me out here. We newbies sometimes need a lot of help!!!!
>
> I thought I read somewhere that, "Any fault of gait was a very serious
> fault." I think that was in Mad Magazine or somewhere! <G>
>
> Are we saying that to discover a fault of gait the dog should be judged
> while not gaiting so we can better see what is not happening
  Speaking as an English lover, not a GSD expert, while the verb "to
gait" appears to be used by GSDfolk to mean "to trot or run", the
technical definition is "to lead a dog before judges to show its manner
of moving and walking", and the noun "gait" means "a manner of walking,
stepping, or running" or, for horses, "any of the manners in which a
horse moves, as a walk, trot, canter, gallop, or rack".  If you drop a
bucket of dog food on your toe, your gait will change for a while, at
whatever pace :)  I suspect the phrase "any fault of gait" has the
broader meaning of "any fault of walking or running".
Cheers,
  Leslie
--
Leslie M. Hartten                web: http://spot.colorado.edu/~hartten
Indi (TerraNorte's Midnight Indigo, German Shepherd Dog)  &  Brittany