[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD judges

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx, thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:18:43 -0800 (PST)

My understanding of the term exactly. A walk is a gait. A trot is a gait. etc.
  I am so sorry the style of showing has gone to racing instead of the nice,
smooth, effortless, suspending trot that allowed you to fully enjoy the fluid
movement.

  Judges used to instruct the handlers: "You walk, the dog trots" and while
that would mean Jerry could walk and a short-legged handler would end up
running just to keep up, it did keep the dogs moving at a reasonable speed.

  When you have dogs trotting too fast, they do not have time to suspend and
actually end up with one leg firmly planted while three are off the ground.
More speed at a trot should come from more extension and not faster steps. If a
dog needs to go faster, he would naturally break into a gallop for a short
sprint, then go back to trotting.
  Ruth

"L. Hartten" <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
   I suspect the phrase "any fault of gait" has the
broader meaning of "any fault of walking or running".
Cheers,
Leslie
--