[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD judges

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <culzeans1@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:01:26 -0800

Hi Pam;
For Judges to put up the "best dog"  period.....they absolutely MUST know the
Standard!    For you to
show the best dog ......you also need to know the Standard.   The Standard on
the German Shepherd
Dog REQUIRES and explains the powerful thrust of the rear drive in good
detail......under GAIT:
 'General Impression'.
i.e.   "The hindquarter's deliver, through the back, a powerful forward thrust
which slightly lifts the
whole animal and drives the body forward.    REACHING FAR UNDER, and PASSING
the imprint
left by the front foot"............
"The overeach of the hindquarter usually necessitates one hind foot passing
outside and the other
hind foot passing inside the track of the forefeet,  and such action is not
faulty unless the locomotion
is crabwise"............
This is a direct quote from the German Shepherd Dog Standard.   Explain  how
the STANDARD
can be "incorrect".......??    It is after all what makes this Breed what it
is.....
Linda Shaw's articles are not the Standard.    You need to spend your time
studying the actual GSD
Standard and not someone's incorrect illustrations or opinions.    This
powerful driving thrust off the
rear of the German Shepherd Dog is part of what sets it apart from all other
Breeds.
For those of us who Breed according to the Standard and have watched the gait
in function while the
dogs herd......it is a beautiful powerful, athletic result of the correct
construction of an efficient trotting
working breed......and it is beautifully described in our GSD Standard.
I am not at all offended at your "opinion"......but just want to remind you it
is only an opinion as compared
to our actual Standard.
You are correct though in respect to saying we need more Judges who actually
read and understand
the Standard.    But we also need more Breeders and Exhibitors with the same
responsibility to knowing
the Standard.   I wholly appreciate your great love and respect for this
amazing Breed and feel exactly
the same way.   I just want to remind you that they can be what the Standard
requires with the awesome
rear drive that propels them forward with the atheletic powerful thrust....and
still be willing to lay their
life on the line for you.  ALL the details of the Standard are what makes this
Breed unique and perfect.
Thanks for your post.......it is a good reminder to all of us to brush up on
our Standard occasionally.
Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com