[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD for New York State

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pmick@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:51:39 -0800 (PST)

I know what you mean Peggy. It was a Toy Poodle lady that embarrassed the GSDCO
into raising the money for all the K9 dog vests. Add to that, this little ball
of fire was in her 80's when she did it. A lady with a cause. The GSD breed has
so may opportunities for really good PR if we just took advantage of it.

  I believe good PR would do more for this breed than anything else.
  Terry

Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Last year I shared with the list that there was a proposal on the table
to make the German Shepherd Dog the official State Dog of the State of
New York. The proposal, known as New York A9300, was made by
Assemblyman Ignizio.
Today, there is a press conference at the AKC, and Ignizio will
be present...hopefully after the conference, the Shepherd will be
designated as the official State dog to be placed among the State symbols.
Supposedly the GSD Club of Long Island was asked to provide a few
GSDs for the conference...but I have heard nothing further.

I never heard anything from the list after I posted about this
proposal last year, and don't expect to now... the apathy is horrible!
When you consider that the big push for this came from a
non-Shepherdist, it's almost embarrassing.

We don't care about legislation, we don't care if the breed is
recognized officially in any way, what do we care about? Nobody seems
to care a whole lot about health issues, either, until one's personally
owned dog goes down, so I can't answer my own question. Well, maybe --
just maybe, what people care the most about is winning. Guess that's
fine, for whatever time we have left to breed and show dogs.

Peggy

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original