[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD faces euthanazia due to owner's death

  • From: Fran Henry <fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: proudk911@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 18:39:02 -0700

        I’m sitting here bawling after reading your post. I’m 75 and just had a
lobe of my lung removed. I have a 5-year-old Boss granddaughter and LeRoy great
granddaughter who is my heart. We read each other’s minds.
        I hate the assumption that a GSD will automatically “bond” with another
family. My girl is a complex, nuanced being — my will lists my daughter, a dear
friend, and Weeping Willow but — how can I be sure that they will love her as I
do, and that she will not end up in a shelter?
        If I choose euthanasia by her known, trusted and compassionate vet
instead of thrusting her into the unknown, hoping that fate will be kind . . .
am I being a worthy steward? I have held in my arms all my dogs who had to be
euthanized because of illness or infirmity — and I believe euthanization by a
confident, caring vet is not “a fate worse than death.” It is a dignified,
compassionate act if accompanied by a loving person who cradles the dog and
provides support.
        The AR folks don’t want us to affirm our rights as “property owners” to
our animals. Folks, the rights of “property owners” are enshrined in the
Constitution! They tell us that we cannot be deprived of our property without
due process — as only a first example. We need to educate ourselves and, having
done so, refuse to let the ARs bully us.
        Thank you, Jen, for stepping up.

Fran Henry
Home of Konigin’s My Abilene TC, CGC,  THD