[ SHOWGSD-L ] GSD faces euthanazia due to owner's death

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 17:19:39 -0600

I have received more than a few private responses about this topic; and one
repeated comment I had to put to the list, being terribly important &
pertinent with regards to the sad & sorry situation Bela is in:

"I need to change my will."

There is no more timely statement!!  The fact that we are sickened by
reading this story should serve as a wake-up call or reminder for ALL of us
to make/refresh our provisions for our pets in case of our demise before
their own...
I talked with a friend today about this story- I am her dog's caretaker in
the event of her untimely demise. Today, we went and did a notarized
document to attach to her will that emphatically states that dog is to live
with ME and ME only if her person were gone... Declaring MY
intent/consent/whatever(!) to care for this GSD girl if I were needed;
being worried that my being "listed" in the will by the owner might not be
enough "proof" by the powers that be, so that dog will NOT end up in a
shelter to be euthed after being deemed aggressive or whatever (not
aggressive, but a lovely, correct, stable & protective Czech working line
bitch who I trust with my 3 month old kitties even :) and then euthanized
after a traumatic time in doggy hell (it is for the beloved house pet and
especially for Service Dogs as this one is)!!!!  I think not if I have any
say if the time were to come and I were needed!
We changed things around to make it clear that I was to have dispositional
control over this GSD from reading this story... A provision I feel all of
us ought to make instead of allowing for euthanasia by your vet, will the
animals TO a person you trust to make those decisions such as euthanasia in
your absence!    Part of Bela's situation was surely created by there being
nowhere for Bela to go, nor anyone to take him to the vet's office to be
seen off and sent for cremation!!!   To designate a PERSON to collect the
pets (property) from the deceased's residence and THEN for that person to
exercise the wishes of the owner with regards to that property will
alleviate (hopefully anyhow) a situation like this happening to YOUR 4
footed loved ones.
A copy of that notarized statement & wishes (which DOES allow for
euthanasia) is also going on file at her veterinarian (my boss) come
Monday, so the vet has knowledge & understanding of the situation of the
event were to arise....  We are scared for our pets' WELFARE because of
people who can't respect another HUMAN'S RIGHTS and this is the best we can
do.
I so hate for Bela that his story is serving as a warning to all of us,
that people think it's just f***ing fine to disrespect the dead and their
wishes... But they're the same ones who disrespect the living as well, the
ones who are making it so hard for people like us to be dog owners and not
dogs having rights and guardians, the ones who see personal freedoms as
irregularities (to their narrow minds) that need to be quashed.  They need
to be quashed, and only pet owners like us are the ones who can do it.
 God told us (humankind) that we are to care for & lord over the beasts and
the birds and the fishes and the things that crawl upon the earth and under
it; which does not equate as having the same rights & responsibilities
nor even abilities of a HUMAN in my book!  Adam gave names to all the
animals. If animals had their own rights, they would have named themselves
and not been presented to Adam as a possible helper in the first place!
(And that they couldn't measure up, woman was created as the compliment and
partner to man... Only another of mankind has the same rights and mind and
capabilities.). But then why am I debating?  We're all on the same side...
HERE anyhow!
But feel free to use & share any of my statements in this email if it helps
YOU to change the mind of just one other person... To help them understand
what animal WELFARE is all about, and that it's not about animal RIGHTS!
When I explain the "one generation & out" philosophy, the light goes on for
everyone. But I'm out there promoting buying responsibly bred pets every
day I work and most days I don't so maybe I'm just a little extra upset at
this story, and hoping my foresight will save my dogs any more suffering
atop the loss of me because of it, and hopefully many many others.
Thanks for sharing the news clip to bring all of this to our attention
(Candy Z I do believe- so TY).  I so wish I could post my opinions on my
business's FB page/website cuz they'd be there then too... But I can,
SPREAD THE WORD FOLKS. it's just how PetA & HSUS does it... We all know
word of mouth travels like wildfire. May as make the news useful instead of
fluff!

Perhaps we need an email address of that shelter where Bela is being held
hostage at and do a mass email campaign as HSUS is so very fond of using to
get their way...
I will draft it and send to the list for everyone to use if someone,
anyone, could get the contact email. I never thought I'd say "let's do what
we can to get this dog euthanized by Christmas" before, but to know the
joyful reunion will then happen at the bridge where Bela was supposed to be
last month. Connie Lay is still there, looking, waiting, wondering why Bela
is delayed from their joyful reunion, waiting to cross the bridge with him
at her heel...

Jen P & her Pack tearful and heart wrenched for both Connie & Bela

--
JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911 Canine Consulting
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!

Support the next generation's stewards in the sport of dogs...
Donate to the German Shepherd Dog Youth Recognition Fund!
www.dogshowjuniors.com