[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD Temperaments & People

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:30:35 -0700

When I take my GSD on the bike or go for a walk I have many people say, "Oh
your dog is so gorgeous!" I say, "Thank you, and he's such a good dog at
that." Then I say, "Would you like to say hello to him?" "Oh no thank you!
He's a wolf or something like that right?! they reply back. "No! He's a GSD
and he loves good people!" Oh that's alright but no thank you! ...Maybe they
were worried they were not good people. Ha! Kathy Partch

I have to agree. The club this weekend had all-breed obedience and mostly
they were as kind as could be.

Towards the end of the day, my laid back Kierkegaard was lying next to my
chair when one of the obedience people brought a border collie within a foot
of  his nose. He barked and was going to go get his new toy to play with,
but I had  him on a lead, grabbed him and said, "NO". The woman said, you
should "give him  a strong correction."  I told her not to come that close
and
he wouldn't  want to floss with her dog.
I also said my dog was smart enough to understand NO and didn't need  more.

Our dogs are not pussy cats and we should not expect them to be.  I  doubt
Kirk would have done anything, but he knows that his owner demands space
and he made sure everyone else knew.

We do need to educate the public. But, since we are always second or third
in popularity in the breeds according to the AKC, maybe we are doing
enough.  Every time I see a stranger who wants a puppy, they rave about the
German
 shepherd they had when they were young.  We are doing OK, but should
continue to do so.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together