[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD Standard--one of the better writen ones

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>, <VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 00:13:24 -0500

    As Carolyn knows (and Helen, too), most of the GSD specialty judges have
been explaining and quoting the standard ever since Carolyn sent the video
clip.  Still, as of this evening, there are still some who believes it is
impossible to have over-reach without crabbing, as Carolyn has said.

    In my ShowSight column last month, I talked about a fairly new GSD judge
who has been to the seminar, attended the National, and discussed
the breed with someone the non-GSD fancy (and some of the GSD people, too)
think knows more than anyone else...and still doesn't understand
the breed at all.  He's still complaining about the "crippled rears" and the
like.  He had a fair choice of dogs to make on the day I watched him,
and missed all the good ones.  His explanation was "the dogs I saw at
specialties are not the kind I get to judge."  I did not bother to tell him
that he probably never would, because he would pass them by if that day's
choices were representative of his thinking.

    As for what's going on on the judges' list, some of them still want our
Shepherds to move like some other breed...regardless of the explanations...
they see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.  For the
first time in my life, I understand why so many people don't want to
go to allbreed shows.

    Peggy