[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD Standard in motion

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <shadowbrooktx@xxxxxxx>, <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 18:23:40 -0700

I believe our Standard is very clear even  if it were  mentioned only one
time........i.e.
"At a walk it covers a great deal of ground, with long stride of both hind legs
and forelegs.
At a trot the dog covers still more ground with even longer stride, and moves
powerfully but
easily, with coordination and balance so that the gait appears to be the steady
motion of a
well-lubricated machine.
The feet travel close to the ground on both forward reach and backward push"

IMO there is NO WAY a dog that lifts with the front going forward in it's
'reach' ...... or
kicks up high in the rear in it's rear 'follow through' ...can possibly move
with a long stride
with "FEET"  traveling close to the ground!!

The animal actually is driven,  or thrust  forward OFF IT'S REAR.....with a
powerful forward
grabbing of the ground and thrusting the body forward with a long LOW follow
through that
should EXACTLY match the forward "reach" of the front.
(  beautiful extension.........beautiful suspension  )
Without correct rear..........ya got nuthin!    <G>   It is the "driving force"
 of the dog!!   The front
is the cushion for the percussion of the weight.......hence the difference in
the joints and the
assembly.

Both the FRONT and the REAR should have a long low "follow through" going
back........AND
a long low forward motion, with the rear grabbing the ground to thrust the body
forward in a
powerful ground covering stride.......and the front catching the forward thrust
of the body as the
shoulder assembly absorbs the percussion of the body coming forward....and
bears the weight.
ie.
In actuality it is a very simple two beat trot.....with the driving rear
thrusting the body forward
for the diagonal front to catch the body a split second later as it is thrust
forward....as the rear
foot comes off the ground and the body passes over the front foot which is
bearing the full
weight of the dog at this split second of timing as the other diagonal rear
begins it's
forward drive......

There is absolutely no ROOM for lifting front or rear on a correctly moving
GSD......according
to our Standards description.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com