[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD Rescue......

  • From: "Pat Lukos" <targa50@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bld4@xxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Sandra Kozub" <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 16:58:27 -0400

Carolyn
I am glad you understand, I felt that the thread was getting out in "left
field" which happens and I usually can deal with it but sometimes we just need
to reiterate things and also clarify things for new comers to the list.

I would bet that all of us did start out with that perfect "mutt".....mine was
Trixie :-)

As another note since you mentioned the unsalvagable within our breed, one
thing that Last Hope has done and it is certainly not easy is to advise people
that come to us with "oh, he only bit a couple times", didn't mean it, etc. we
ADVISE what to do after we LISTEN to what actually occurred.  Many times,
people don't understand that the advice we give is not what they want to hear.
When we hear about GSDs in pounds that are on their way to death row, either
Dawn, Vicki, myself, Jodi or someone on our team will call and ask regarding
temperament and/or send someone to check for us.  Twice we have had a problem
where the temperament was not what the ACO said it was and the GSD was pulled
from the gassing facility by LHSH and sent to the Bridge humanely with someone
holding its head.  When we know the GSD is good to go then the networking
starts for good GSD rescues to commit to the dog and we move in and pay the
pull fees, s/n, shots, etc. for the rescue.  WE DO NOT ASK FOR ADOPTION FEES
BACK.....why???? many people will ask....because we are not here to hold on to
our money or save money....we want the rescues to use that adoption fee to help
them with their overhead, etc.  This is one thing that makes Last Hope very
unique.  We pay quickly to save that dog because many of them only have 72
hours before they can be euthanized.

Well, enough from me.....thank you all for listening....this is a good
educational topic.  There are so many ways people can help in rescue :-)

Pat

    From: Pat Lukos To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; bld4@xxxxx ;
showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ; Sandra Kozub Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 1:09 PM
    Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD Rescue......

    I must say, as Secretary of LHSH, that funds donated from this list and
many
    others are used for the purebred GSD....I don't know what "mutt" Iza is
    referring to in her statement.  Our books are open and monies are used for
    the GSD; be it veterinary services, food, etc.  In the course, we do come
    across other breeds and that is why we work so closely with breed and all
    breed rescues.  They can many times help us by transporting a purebred GSD
    to its new home along with other "mutts" that may be on the transport.  By
    working together, we all save money and several dogs can be saved.  Some of
    you may question if a GSD is purebred or not; we see them in all sizes,
    shapes and conditions and the ones we spend your money on are purebreds or
    they are wearing great "Halloween costumes"-LOL.

    As for the Camp Wolfgang tragedy; if you look at that Petfinder page, yes
    you may see other breeds, but probably 75% or more of the dogs at Camp
    Wolfgang are purebred GSDs.

    I wanted to clear this up.  Also, our help is available immediately to a
GSD
    in need....when we get the call, we paypal money, call in a credit card and
    get that dog saved into a GSD or sometimes an "all breed" rescue....but it
    is a GSD!!  We have said it before but just need to reaffirm  to you our
    commitment to the GSD.

    Pat Lukos