[ SHOWGSD-L ] GSD Popularity and Speed

  • From: "Terra Fairburn" <terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:32:46 -0500

I agree with much that has been posted lately about our GSD's regarding their
popularity and conformation showing.  First my experience in the last few years
has been that many families are interested in purchasing GSD's for a fair price
that includes healthy and great tempered dogs. Most of the families have no
intention of "showing dogs".  As I have aged, I have no interest in suggesting,
encouraging, or expecting them to show their dogs.  The reason for this is that
I cannot in good conscience encourage people to enter into something that is
very expensive, at best, not always the best social experience for new people
(without a strong and ethical mentor), and most often heart breaking.  If they
want to show, that is fine, but I see how many people "use" unsuspecting souls
for their own gains.  You need to enter this sport with your eyes WIDE OPEN.
My suggestion is;1. put the burden of breeding good show dogs on the breeders.
We need to accept that responsibility for all the great that comes from it and
all the heart-ach that seems to seep into the best well laid program or plan.
Good dogs need to be sold to everyone with an honest contract for  issues that
sometimes cannot be controlled.  Consumers should not have to wait for years
for a replacement or never be reimbursed for a purchase that was a "lemon".  2.
Judges need to control their ring.  Quit saying that you want to slow the GSD
down and yet you reward the speeding ones.  If you want the new comers and
young people to come to the sport, then make it so they can compete whether it
is by handling their own animal or being able to see what a good dog should
move like.  This weekend I had the pleasure of allowing a new handler handle my
animal at an all breed.  She is not new to the dog world at all.  She has grown
up in the dog show world handling Belgium Shepherds and other breeds.  She has
done well in those breeds.  She is athletic, knows the rules and has a great
hand with dogs.  Her siblings are also in dogs and questioned why does our
breed run like they are racing and so on.  I had no explanation.  Not many of
that young group will be attracted to our breed.  They would be a great
resource for our breed, my community and dog club.  We need the youth to help
train, exercise, and show our dogs.  3. Next comes expense.  Big difference in
charges from GSD to other herding breeds.  Very enlightening for sure.  So it
is still the same three things that continue to crop up for the reason for our
breed numbers declining;  racing around the ring, handler issues from not
enough in certain areas and the cost that is being charged, and lastly the way
new comers are treated when they are first trying to understand the game. Big
named people say, well you can't compete at the National without a "known"
handler.  I say ok, then the National does not get my entry.  That contributes
to this declining numbers.  If we want to attract new people to handle, they
need a fair shot at the big venues.
The handling fee's for showing are becoming a hardship for many as you are
seeing 3, 4, 5 and 6 people owning a show animal these days.  Specialty clubs
are begging for entries and larger kennels are bringing their whole kennels to
support the venues.  Look at show win postings and see who was there.  Look at
the numbers and shake your head because OMG it is sad.  Or tell yourself you
are going to try and help the situation.  We are tying new ideas this year.  In
the end we really have no one to blame but ourselves, IMO.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html