[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD Judges

  • From: Regatta <zilla@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 06:57:08 -0600

I have a young bitch, 3 now, and we play in the all breeds from time to
time in our area, we only have one specialty show a year that I can attend
(she has a specialty best opposite too).  Anyhow, not having been active in
the show ring for some time, I started keeping a list of judges while we
were showing.  Of course, any judges that gave her the breed or group were
on the "plus" page, those that dumped her, but to other dogs of good
quality were on the "ok" page, and those that were inconsistent or dumped
any good dogs to less quality ones (pro handler or not) were on the "not
again" page.  My dog is handled by a very competent junior, so there was no
handler recognition issue with her.

One judge gave her the group, and kept her right up for Best in Show one
weekend.  The dog already had one BIS at that time, and it was a fair loss
under that judge to a fabulous English Setter.  Only months later that same
judge was at another set of shows, so we entered - same dog, same
handler.  Not even a best opposite!  LOL  and the dogs that beat her were
far inferior to the ones she beat when she won the  breed and group at the
previous show under that judge.  OFF the list. just like that! The other
two days of that weekend, we got two Group 1st and a Reserve BIS.  Go figure!

I have found lots of all breeders who can do a good job, and lots who don't.

Jill
Canada