[ SHOWGSD-L ] GSD / 2 beat trot

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Doctrcorgi@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:40:50 -0800

I was going to leave this alone.....but since I started it with my comment
about the
Illustrated Standard and a drawing of a dog incorrectly touching down with both
the
rear and front diagonal feet at the same time........... I must respectfully
disagree.

ALL  the forward propulsion of the dog comes from the rear drive ONLY!!
It is the driving force that propels the dog forward.   The front extension we
love
so much merely 'catches' this propulsion.    The front assembly balances and
absorbs
the shock of this action as it reaches out to catch the force of this forward
action
carried
through the body..... and bear the weight of the dog as it is propelled forward
by the
powerful driving rear.
The rear is....the rear drive ........ The front is the shock absorber

In the "two beat" trot.....the first and primary contact is the rear which is
the only
support of the dog at this instant.    The diagonal front foot is reaching
forward to
it's
maximum extension.   As the rear foot begins to thrust the body ahead....the
center
of gravity is propelled forward over the diagonal front leg which catches this
forward
action and then becomes the main support as the body is thrust forward over it.
(One)... rear foot touches down and begins the thrust. ( after period of
suspension )
(Two) ....front foot touches down to absorb and bear the weight of the thrust.
This ONE TWO sequence is finished when the front foot releases the ground to
begin
the period of suspension as the dog is propelled forward again for the next
sequence.

Next sequence begins when period of suspension FINISHES as the 'other' rear foot
touches down to begin the thrust .....ONE.
When the 'other'  front touches down to absorb the weight of the thrust
.......TWO
the center of gravity is propelled forward over the same one fore leg as the
main
support and the front releases the ground to BEGIN the period of suspension
again
to complete the next sequence.   This is a split second perfect precision two
beat
gait.

If the front touched down at the same instant as the rear....it would not
absorb the
shock but would have to become a pulling force in the movement....and it would
not be the ground covering trot......but the dredging pull of a weight pulling
dog
much like a Rottweiler.   A  Dressage horse is a 'trained' gait.....no
comparison.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

From: "SUSAN SULLIVAN" <susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>