[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GS Movement (long)

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:18:01 -0800 (PST)

        I, too, remember the Walking Days.  What you failed to mention
  was another big difference :  It was the best dog that won, not the
  one best handled.     Carolyn
Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx wrote:
  Thinking back a long way, I recall the Walking Days of this GS Breed in the
Show Ring, only too well...As a Handler,  5 ft. 3 myself, It was hard on my
legs, being  that short,  to keep that dog at just the right speed..Not too
fast and not too slow......

   But it was  asked for by the Judge for a Specific purpose... They wanted
to see the  dog maintain a trot, never going into a  PACE ,  at a  WALK....
They wanted to watch them perform it until they were assured they were
tired...They watched for the back to begin to go , the front begin to falter
and the
hindquarter stop driving and the coordination begin to fail...when that dog
tired, which showed it was either out of condition or  not built right,  when
they
fell  into a PACE, or begun to exhibit the  faults of it's conformation . Then
the Judge  would  change some dogs around , all the time the dogs remained in
motion, and started  them  at a 'trot'   NOT FAST.... a Medium TROT...
  This  phase took place for an extended period of time, while they watched
the dogs, particularly those in front, for an faltering or mis-step or
slackening off... or 'coming apart' as One Judge used to put it...
  Then Dogs were often  changed  in position, again while all stayed in
motion..
Then as an hour or so went by, the Judge would call for a  Fast (or as we
call it a Flying Trot)  and off we would go,  Handlers and Dogs, in full
flight... The Dogs  with  shoulders opening  and their Forelegs  fully
extended,
heads and necks lowered and the backs level, and the hindquarters driving and.
belly's lowered to the ground..going flat and far in each stride, eating up the
ground with  giant strides....It  was a thrilling sight...
The extensive gaiting also was done to see how much 'HEART' a dog had...
Which was very important in that time... Heart and  Desire and Courage..
 I recall some  Judges,  who would then break the dogs back down into a
WALK!!!!!!
If there was ever any question of a Dog being in Top Physical Condition ,
this would soon separate the Men from the Boys and the Women from the
Girls....Any who  then went into a fatigue pace and couldn't be  handled out of
it, were
excused...
  Then off again at  a good , medium Trot, then once again, with a sweep of
the arm, the Judge would signal the  Flying Trot and the final placements all
accomplished in full motion with everyone going flat out...Thinking about it,
for me, the Walk was a killer..
BUT....Running Flat Out and grabbing your Second Wind and feeling like you
and that dog could just keep going forever, that was the exciting and wonderful

part that addicted us all who were caught up in it........
That was what I  see in my mind's eye and heart, when I think of correct
Movement...JMO  Barb Williams

POST  is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original
author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of  any kind

PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS  EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS  PROHIBITION WILL BE