[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GQ, not the 'twilight zone'

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:32:42 -0800

I feel like I'm in 'The Twilight Zone'....going over all this again.

Your gene pool started at the same 'crossroad' as the Standard colors when
whites were
DQ'd.   Whites actually had a wider gene pool than the colors according to
all the pedigrees
that I saw during the late 60's.    Most of the whites had 80% pet dogs that
no one knew..
like "White Thunder of Crossbow'  and the standard GSD's had pretty much the
same show lines
all across the Country...with a lot of the tight breeding of Rocky Reach and
Longworth...etc.
When the DQ passed...I assume the whites ( with the more outcross to start
with )  began to use
less of the color lines? ...and the Standard color breeders went on in their
own direction ...and to
this  DAY,  STILL have a small gene pool because of the popularity of
specific lines and dogs.

IF your dog carries some health problems... you need to find a dog that does
not carry the problem
or find another dog or 'line' for breeding.   IF your dogs do NOT carry
specific  health problems;
INBREEDING will NOT cause them to 'grow genes'  they do not have!    It
takes testing and test
breeding to know.    You can do that with your whites the same way we do
with the Standard colors.
Just utilizing the Standard colors will not bring healthy genes....anymore
than us using the whites
would solve any problems we have with our color lines.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of Redacted sender "barbara17236@xxxxxxx" for DMARC
To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject:  Re: GQ, not Gentalmens Quarterly

I can only speak for myself -

The white gene pool is not all that large; after all, we have had mainly
access to white dogs since the late 60s.  Some colored stock has been used
but since the white breeders, in the beginning, only wanted to use white
stock, very few breeders utilized colored dogs in their breeding programs.

I don't want to be restricted to a small gene pool of white dogs.  I want
HEALTHY dogs first, and by breeding only within a small group of lines,
health is not going to last forever.

Structure and movement need improvement, and breeding white to white is not
going to get the job done.  Think of it like this, if you were to only breed
a black dogs to black dogs, for the next 40 years, how big of a gene pool
would the black dogs have?  And, how would you improve on the structure, if
the "correct" structure is in limited access? Or, if something else shows
up, how would you breed it out of the lines?

I would not oppose separation, IF we had the gene pool to sustain the white
dog.   I have to think into the future, long after I am dead, and be able to
see healthy dogs, strong lines, and the ability to breed on.

BTW - I would NOT be breeding whites (DQ) had the "false" health concerns,
from the late 60s, been true.  Who wants be producing blind or deaf  dogs?
Or, generation after generation of sick animals?

Now, breeding livers, who do not have longevity, from my understanding, is
not a good thing to do.  I would not have signed up for that.

Barb Hively - PA DNA.  It's what makes a white, a German Shepherd
If you CHOOSE to breed whites even though they are a DQ....wouldn't you want
all white pups??
Are you saying those who breed white GSD also want the Standard color??
WHY?
[Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

 And, herein is the problem.

Since those who breed Whites have a standard, included in that standard is
the ability to show black and tan puppies if a White is bred to one of OUR
standard colors.  It shows a different attitude. They don't make our
standard a disqualification, as we do for theirs.

The bitch I mentioned before was from a white dam bred to Joe Black.  There
is some irony in the name, but other than that it is accepted by the White
breeders.

People have a right to establish their own goals. We should not criticize
them and they should not criticize us. We have our standard. We have decided
to stick to it. Now it is time to understand that we are not the boss of
everyone else.

Or, maybe I am, but the rest of you aren't.

Evan