[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GAITING

  • From: Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Janandmort@xxxxxxx, AGray40366@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 16:27:46 -0700

Thank you Morton, I sincerely appreciate that.  I hold your expertise in the
highest regard.
Yes, standing is a good indicator of gait.  Again, (and my personal peeves
of many) are lack of upper arm and correct layback of shoulder....too long
hocks, often accompanied by a short or too steep croup.
I can overlook to a point a longer back and some, *some* long loin, in the
presence of long upper arm, and long, stifle, short hocks.  Sometimes a
little length of back is necessary if the dog is a bit overdone in the rear.
When I say overdone, I don't mean an "eggbeater" or instep dragger...I mean
just a bit too much stifle/ femur, but otherwise short-hocked and clean.

When a dog is "bunchy" standing, short on leg, upper arm, neck, croup, you
can bet he/she will gait similarly.
We are seeing a LOT of this, rather than the long upper arms into layback
and sweeping , elastic extension at both ends...we are seeing choppy, and
dogs that look as though the head is on the wrong end.

We are as a sidenote , (since you mentioned standing) seeing a lot of
COARSENESS, in the guise of masculinity.  The Standard addresses this.  We
are seeing malamute- type heads where the plane of the fore skull does not
match the plane of the muzzle.....many of these dogs have little length of
neck or length of long bone to accompany it. They are often too upright on
both ends.   As predictable,  choppy is as choppy does, standing or moving.

*There should be balance and symmetry and fluidity* in the all gaits for
this breed.  There should be effortless suspension , even at a walk, and a
ground covering gallop.  We have lost much of the grace and athleticism of
the breed, in favor of prevailing show ring ideals, today.   The very
"flying trot" that we all love to see, is a rarity...instead we are given,
tight leads, excessive speed, and smoke-and-mirrors.   Slow them down, and
watch ...
Yes a dog with shortened skull ratios , upper arm, layback, croup, stifle,
and bone that is coarse rather than appropriate, will give you a quick
footed,  racing-to appear-ground- covering , ruse of a side gait.
Watch it go loose, watch it off lead, watch it at different speeds....the
deficits will be glaring.

Kathy

 http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
~or~
http://www.germanshepherdssocal.com
PUP-DATED:  MAY 6, 2009
Home of:

CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle

WE SUPPORT DRUG AND DYE TESTING