[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GAITING

  • From: Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 15:49:43 -0700

Personally, I appreciate a judge that works the dogs at all speeds.
Walk them, slow jog them, let them go at "best speed" ...
GSDs work at all paces, not just the "flying trot".
When a GSD is herding, they are not all out flying at a trot.  They meter
themselves, they gait, they walk,
and they even gallop.
Too many times we see dogs that are shown flying around the ring , because
slower than that they come
apart.  We see recently an epidemic of butt high , downhill runners, that
are quick footed, and pound in the front.
 Interestingly these same dogs often have rear and back faults with lots of
rumbling going on. and hocks as long as stifles.   These dogs HAVE to go
fast, because they have no timing from front to rear.
To borrow the phrase "foot timing" ....which in my mind is the simultaneous
rise and fall of opposing front and rear legs , each reaching full extension
and gathering in sync. Each having equi-distant reach and distance to the
ground (preferably very close)  at it's furthest point of extension.

Dogs that run downhill, kickup in the rear, and reach full rear extension
only *after* the front foot has reached peak extension and has already
transitioned to the ground .  They pound, and they beat themselves up on a
long working job.  At a walk or slow trot, these dogs come apart.  They have
no such "timing"
. They MUST be shown on a tight lead to give the illusion of a properly
timed front and rear, and to allow the front to reach
farther...artificially.   Sadly, this is rewarded by some, who never ask for
or may ask , but don't enforce loose lead, or moderate speed in the ring. It
is not correct, it is not even aesthetically pleasing

Sometimes the audience or the breeders don't see what a judge may see in the
ring.  Sometimes a judge needs to make it obvious.  Walking is a good way to
illustrate beyond a doubt, that  a dog has a weak back
or does not have the drive in the rear because of lack of topline or
too-long hocks and short croup.

If people were so readily able to see bad backs  and rumbling loins and
croups at only a trot,  then why does there seem to be such an epidemic of
it at every show?  Or do they just not care because it often gets put up,
anyway?
Thank you, no.  Give me a driving , rock hard topline at a walk , trot, or
fast trot...it should be unwavering, and
simply ooze  POWER.

Kathy Tank
http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
~or~
http://www.germanshepherdssocal.com
PUP-DATED:  MAY 6, 2009
Home of:

CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle

WE SUPPORT DRUG AND DYE TESTING