[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GAITING

  • From: AGray40366@xxxxxxx
  • To: Janandmort@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 17:33:09 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/2009 3:51:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
janandmort@xxxxxxx writes:
If I may  add to the discussion of gait-- specifically the walk which I
personally feel  is very important.
The natural gaits of the German Shepherd Dog are walk,  trot and gallop and
the pace which I include in the walk.?
When I judge I  like to see the dog walk and slow trot and do not stress
the extremely fast  trot which is so popular today--perhaps one turn around
the ring at a "faster  trot" but not the racing that we so often see.

That is not a natural  gait!!!

The walk is important as it show many gaiting positives  regarding length
of step and proper timing of the gait and use of the  hindquarter power as
well as the strength of the middle piece to transmit this  power from the rear
to the forehand.

To repeat myself and draw an  analogy from the auto-- the rear is the
engine, the back the transmission and  front is the steering mechanism.

Thanks,

Morton  Goldfarb

I appreciate your position, although while I do not consider scrambling and
 tearing around the ring a correct trot, I do believe in LOOSE LEAD is the
best  way for me to evaluate movement. They can  go one at time if the ring
is too small. I tend to take the standard at it's word: "At a walk it
covers a  great deal of ground, with long stride of both hind legs and
forelegs.
At a trot the dog covers still more ground with even  longer stide and
moves powerfully but easily with coordination and  balance so that the gait
appears to be the steady motion of a well lubricated  machine (the car thing
again I guess)......The hindquarters deliver through the  back a powerful
forward thrust which slightly lifts the whole animal drives the  body forward.
Reaching far under and passing the imprint left by the front foot  the hind
foot take hold of the ground then hock stifle and upper thigh come into  play
and sweep back the stroke of the hind leg finishing with the foot still
close to the ground in a smooth follow through."
Gosh, how beautiful is that? A correctly moving gsd is work of art. A four
point gait can be seen in any other breed, I don't want bird dogs I want
german  shepherd dogs, with flying trot and that doesn't mean speed, it means:
The  hindquarters deliver through the back a powerful forward thrust which
slightly  lifts the whole animal drives the body forward. " I call that
suspension, but  what do I know?
Ann Gray