[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: [petlaw] VA: HB 538 Passes Senate -- May forward

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 20:13:30 EST

Begin forwarded message:

HB 538 Passes Senate -- May forward

Tue Mar 4, 2008 11:43 am (PST)

HB-538 (PAWS-Plus for Virgina) has passed the Senate by a vote of
34:5. This bill would create a first-in-the-nation limit of 50 dogs on
any breeding operation, with expensive new provisions for breeders who
maintain over 29 bitches (cumulative for the year) for breeding
purposes.

Other new provisions would apply to all species: There are new rules
about access to places where animals are kept, some of which may
apply to other species and there's this new all-species provision:

> § 3.1-796.122:1. Sale of animals after cruelty or neglect
> conviction; penalty.
>
> Any person who has been convicted of a violation of any law
> concerning abuse, neglect, or cruelty to animals that sells, offers
> for sale, or trades any companion animal is guilty of a Class 1
> misdemeanor. However, a person may dispose of animals under the
> provisions of a court order.

Since it had already passed the House but in a slightly
different form the next step will be a 'committee of conference' to
resolve the differences between the two versions. Committees of
conference are limited to splitting differences; they cannot add new
provisions or remove something that is in both versions.

The conference committee usually happens quickly, the (slightly)
revised bill then goes in the same form to both houses and is usually
passed promptly and sent on to the Governor for signature.

There was an amendment; it was called 'technical' which would
ordinarily mean no more than punctuation or perhaps a minor internal
inconsistency. We do not have the text of that amendment yet.

Links to the various forms of the bill may be found at:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?081+sum+HB538

The most recent version we have is the lowest of the blue lines under
'Full text.'

Walt Hutchens
Timbreblue Whippets

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money &
Finance.
      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)