[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: declining entries

  • From: Linda Terry <jolisgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 22:16:44 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Linda Terry <jolisgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 9:35 PM
Subject: declining entries
To: Showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I think Ruth really nailed the exhibitor's viewpoint when she said that
(I'm paraphrasing) the performance events cost money but they allow you to
work with your dog.  Getting an obedience title, rally title, agility
title, etc. is for many people even more exciting than a conformation title
because you really had to work with that dog -- you were a team -- and you
built a bond with that dog that only comes about from that investiture of
time.  Obedience titles usually take years of classes and training sessions
to accomplish--going to the shows to compete is only the proof of what you
and the dog have been training together for.

I've found, too, that most performance people are just nicer than
conformation people. Even if we're competing in the same class with our
dogs, we can all still win that qualifying score and placements don't
matter as much to anyone except the really "top" competitors who are going
for OTCH's and MACH's, etc.  More a sense of camaraderie (or at least in my
experience).

Plus since performance people are not paying a handler at the show, (and
Evan, you've got a really good deal if you're paying your handler $75 per
class -- last year I showed a 7 month PUPPY and the cost was $100 per class
+ expenses) so the cost is less per show and you generally need to go to
less shows to get those titles (conformation is subjective, but performance
requirements are much more black and white).

Linda Terry

--
Linda Terry
etsy shop: