[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: Where are we going?

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:29:47 EST

Forwarded with permission.... author unknown.

There once was a day when small farmers dotted the countryside. Each farmer
had a handfull of chickens, two or three pigs, a few cows and a dog.  The
farmers lives revolved around caring for those animals, and the animals
provided
a living in milk, eggs, and meat for the farmer. A small surplus was sold to
buy  a few clothes and other needs.   Man and nature were in balance, each
caring for the other.  I remember that life.  It was clean and  pure.  It was
good.
Well now that I have told you something  of my age, let me tell you
what happened to that life.

The time came  when the small farmer could no longer survive.
Licensing, restrictions,  zoning, and yes, animal extremists applied
pressure on the farmer and he  could not continue doing what he had been
doing for hundreds of years.   Farmers were criticized for eating the animals
and
called viscious. The manure  from the farm was said to spoil our streams.  The
children could no longer  stay on the farm. As they grew up they had to go to
the cities and get jobs in  factories. Some family farms were split up into
subdivisions.  Other farms  were joined together to make huge company-owned
factory farms.

Chickens  are now raised in huge buildings that appear endless in
length.  Eggs  come from chickens who only have room to stand up or sit down.
 Instead of  chickens living for several years on family farms, they are
worn-out and  replaced each year.  Pigs are also factory produced.  The living
conditions are so horrible they are often sustained by anti-biotics and
medications.  Cattle survive muddy crowded feedlots until they can be
slaughtered.

I remember it well.  The chickens sang in  the summer with their
feathers shining in sunlight.  They wallered and  played in little
puddles of dust and cackled with such excitement to announce  the
arrival of each egg.  The huge red rooster supervised and strutted  so
proudly.  Tiny wet calves tottered beside their mothers as she licked  them.
I'm so
sorry you missed it, and it can never happen again.  It was a  good life.
Yes.  Farmers were indeed back yard breeders.

Soon dogs will not be produced by back yard breeders, nor puppy mills.  It
will be too risky, too regulated, too controversial, and no longer  profitable.

That's the ultimate goal of the animal extremist, and they  will succeed.
But society will still want pets, so they will be ordered  out of a catalog,
just as chickens can now ordered from the McMurray  catalog.  You will be able
choose any breed and color, and they will  arrive with a bow. They will be
produced in long buildings that appear endless  in length, from females in
small
cages with only room to sit or stand, but  government licensed and inspected.
They will be out of the sight of the animal  extremists, just as the chickens
and pigs are now.  The factory will once  again replace the back yard
breeder, and everybody will be happy.

Animal  activists, you think you are doing something honorable. You're not.
Sure  there are bad back yard breeders.  There are bad parents too. But you
don't  do away with all families because of a few bad people.  Most back yard
breeders love and care for their animals. Most are not actually in their back
yards at all, but rather inside homes. Most are family pets and often members
of  the family.  Reproduction by these family members is no different from
reproduction of the human family members.  Go ahead animal  extremists.
Criticize the back yard breeder. Force puppies into factories,  just as you
have
forced our children into huge factory-like schools at younger  and younger ages.

The small farmers were indeed backyard breeders.   Yes, they indeed ate the
very animals they loved and cared for so much. There  are worse things than
back yard breeders.  Extremists, you need to realize  where you are going with
this!

Ginger  Cleary, Dallas, GA_ http://www.rihadin.com _
dance  if you don't go
to the party.