[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: Whelping and Raising puppies-Easy Money

  • From: ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:41:16 -0700 (PDT)

ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:40:54 -0700
(PDT)
From: ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Whelping and Raising puppies-Easy Money
To: GSD show list <gsdshowlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Everyone that breeds know that whelping and raising puppies is easy money.
WRONG!  Yesterday morning Sam (BOS MW Fut Ch Mmm Mmm Good of Edan) had a brown
yucky, but not smelly discharge, so I called my vet and she said not to worry
as long as it didn't smell and she had no temp. She ate her breakfast and so I
just kept on checking on her so often and working outside (first 60 degree day
this year). Well at 4:00 I heard a scream and she had whelped one dead mushy
puppy. I called my vet and she said if the next puppy was dead, get her to a
local vet. She lives over a hour away. Well two hours later after a pit shot,
she whelped two healthy girls, one 2 pounds, 1 12 oz.  More pit two hours
later, two more dead puppies. Then a live boy and a dead one. She was really
being a good first time mom and taking care of them immediately.  At eleven she
had lost all interest in the litter and was shaking in the corner, very
lethargic. I called my local vet.  They don't see patients
 after ten.  I can go to MSU. $2000 to walk in the door. I'm thinking she has a
calcium defiency and have some on hand, but don't have the dosage, so I call
another local vet, whom I only see once in a while.  She tells me how much
calcium to give and then to sit and wait.  I can't sit and wait and so I call
her back and tell her I am on the way in.  She ran an blood profile and x-rays.
Two more puppies, one ready to come right out, only it doesn't. It is now one
o'clock. I get her home and she whelps the next puppy. It is hard to believe,
but it is fine. It is now four o'clock and she has her last one. It isn't
moving. This morning she is fine, the puppies are fine. dad is sel Ex Ch
Mechanical Bull of Edan.

Ann Home of Sel Ex # 6 Ch Maxwell, Sel Ex Ch Gilley and #1 Dam Muggles -
owner/breeder of 65 champions and 19 ROMs