[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fwd: West Coast Show Entries 38 years ago...

  • From: "Beryl Eshom" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx>, <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 15:41:39 -0700

Yes, Santa Barbara KC was a large and well attended all breed show. Even
though it was benched. The entry was such that as an exhibitor you spent
little time on the bench. It was like attending a Specialty.
We took a 5 point major there in the late 60's. As I recall there were more
than 30 Open bitches in that class alone.We "floated" home to Northern
Calif.

In the North another KC, Santa Clara Valley KC usually gave us an outdoor
ring and a specialty judge. Often two judges were hired, and a large
specialty size ring was set up.
.
At that time I recall only 3 GSD specialty clubs with AKC approval to hold
point shows, they were GSDC of San Diego, GSDC of Los Angeles County and GSD
Fanciers of N. California, possbily a 4th one being the GSDC of Sacramento
Valley.
Other Clubs were in existence and putting on matches, working towards AKC
approval. California now has a total of 12 clubs according to the RED binder
roster we received in 2004.

There was also a club (Mt. Madonna GSDC) that held specialty matches that
took all day. That particular club never did go beyond holding matches, and
has not been in existence for a number of years

Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, CA