[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: Thoughts (long sorry)

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 08:09:09 EDT

____________________________________
 From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
To: foxhavengs@xxxxxxx,  showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 4/17/2011 8:04:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight  Time
Subj: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Thoughts (long sorry)

He thinks you are "his" and that's not good if you have a multi-dog  house.
 I would disagree that he "knows his place" or, let me amend that,  he DOES
know his place and he's the guy in charge.  It's not enough that  a dog
obey when it's convenient.

As far as the low growl when people approach, it is NOT OK.  (He'd  get a
stern reprimand here!)

I'd put some basic obedience on him /sit/stay/down at a minimum, and put
him in a down stay while you give affection to the other dogs and also when
you have company and people are bound to approach. I would ONLY give him
affection on your timetable and not whenever he demanded it.

Try that...it could be you've never told him his behavior is wrong.   He
might just say "ok, no problem" or he might challenge you, in which case he
needs to meet Jesus.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 4/16/2011 10:16:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
foxhavengs@xxxxxxx writes:

If you  have a 11 month puppy what has been with you  since birth so of
course  you have a close bond. I knew from the moment he was born he staying
with me  no matter what. He is the kind of dog that doesn't care if your
around he  will sniff get a pat and is done with you. Here is what I am not
sure
if  he is protecting me or trying to dominate me ( I would not consider
him dominate in nature he knows his place in the house hold) I will be on  the
couch laying or sitting and he either lays on me or puts half his body  on
me for what I believe is he wants love, also has put himself between me  and
the other two dogs if they come for love. I had guest come and approach  me
and if he is by me at a sit he does the low growl warning sigh. I tell  him
no its ok and make him move away from me. The question is he protecting  me
or dominating me? I know we have a close bond but if its dominating I  want
to correct if  its protecting me he will back off if I say no its  ok. What
would be your th
oughts. He is very playful loves to patted but  a thinker you can see he
access situations before reacts or doesn't. Very  happy puppy but I do know he
feels more comfortable if I am around. Ok ready  for thoughts
Thanks
Denise
Sent from my Verizon Wireless
BlackBerry============================================================================
POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the
any  kind are permitted without prior permission of the original author AND of

Each Author is  responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group
and its  administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in  any post.

ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION  OR USE IN ANY
MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE  EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS  EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS  PROHIBITION WILL BE
PROSECUTED.

For assistance, please contact the  List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

VISIT OUR WEBSITE -  http://showgsd.org