[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: [TX_RPOA_E-News] Report: USDA Conference Call & APHIS Rule

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 14:01:16 -0400 (EDT)

There are many suggestions for comments on the new APHIS proposal....if you
 have not made a comment yet please do and do it today. The regulations are
 absurd and they WILL affect you...each and every one.
Molly

____________________________________
on  Tuesday, August 7, 2012

As you all probably know I was on the  conference call yesterday (8/6) with
the USDA and the Animal Agriculture  Alliance. I was told there were 122
people on that call. There should have  been hundreds, but won't go there.
It was conducted as a question and  answer of course about the proposed
APHIS
rule that we are fighting  against. I have waited a day to report on it as I
am not sure exactly what  I got from it. What I write here are my
impressions and if anyone else on  the call has anything to add, please do.

For positives, it was at the  least a chance to get a feel for where these
people are coming from. I did  definitely get the impression that they are
very aware of what we are  writing in comments, and also the impression they
are just a bit confused,  uneasy. But I wouldn't get too overly satisfied
with that feeling - they  have the POWER in the end. I would just say our
comments are not just being  ignored. They reiterated some things I have
tried to get across about  writing comments.

1 Form letters are only considered one time. Letters  that simply state the
author is for or against the rule are not considered  - they want reasons.

2 This is not a numbers game. It does not matter  how many pros and cons
they get - it is the content of the letters that is  being considered. They
said every letter is read (obviously by many people)  and I believe the law
requires them to do that.

3 Since we were not  allowed to comment but only ask questions about the
rule
and the faq sheet  they continually said, "put that in a comment on the
site".
They want  to hear why the rule is a problem and why the rule is not going
do good  for animals and buyers.

Who was on the call? Some people never said  anything and they did not take
any kind of formal roll call. Sheila  someone was there from AKC but did
not
ask questions that I remember.  Frank Losey was there and asked quite a few
very good questions. Rob Hurd,  Michael Glass, Alice Harrington were the
ones who asked questions who I  know from facebook.

They began with asking for agriculture related  questions since this was who
they were meeting with. There were quite a few  questions about the
"domestic farm animals" wording in the rule, questions  about
farmers/ranchers who raise a pet breed but also have livestock and  will
the
inspectors have problems with their livestock who are nearby if  they are
inspecting the other part of their operation. I got the  impression that
they did NOT get the answers they were looking for in any  concrete
way...especially as to why they are included in this rule in the  first
place
when there are other parts of the USDA that cover livestock.  They kept
referring to aimals for fur or food not being covered. I asked  about
horses, ponies, donkeys - no answer.

I believe there were more  dog people on there than anything else - at least
who spoke. Since this  rule appears to be very much aimed toward us, that
was not surprising. The  APHIS reps harped on the two things below and
were continually questioned  about them - often with no answer other than
"write a comment".

1  The first was the "face to face" transaction that they have decided  must
happen. If you have read the proposed rule and then the faq sheet,  they
changed their tune between one and the other. In my opinion this is a  BIG
one we should hit on in comments!

Originally in regard to what  they call "internet sales" but would cover any
sale where the dog is  shipped or delivered they say in their document, "As
result, customers  of these businesses are often unable to enter the
retailer's
place of  business to observe the animals before taking it home. Thus APHIS
believes  that they lack sufficient public oversight to ensure the humane
treatment  and care of these animals."

In their recent fact sheet they changed  this to say, "Pet animal retailers
who sell their animals to their  customers in face to face transactions at a
location other than their own  premises are subject to some degree of public
oversight and therefore are  not the focus of this proposal and would not
need to obtain a  license."

Whoa! First they want the buyer to oversee our premises and  how the
animals
are treated and now we can sell puppies in a WalMart  parking lot (that
exact
question was asked on the call) or from the back  of a pickup at a flea
market? That is "some degree of public  oversight"?

They had no answers that I can recollect on that one other  than insisting
the face to face meeting allowed the owner to see the  puppy.

2 The definition of "breeding female". I do have a bit of  transcript on
that one:

Terry - breeding females - how  determined?

Rushin - "We have an exemption for whole-sale, what we  currently regulate,
the 3 breeding females. And the way that is done we  look at is capacity to
breed. That is a fact by fact determination BY THE  INSPECTOR- so we will
look at things as age, physical condition of the  dog, and etc etc. So just
because a dog is not spade there still are  ..garbled examples??.. where a
dog is not considered, is not part of the  breeding females."

Alice - Where are those listed?

Rushin -  THERE IS NO LIST. [emphasis added]

Alice - There is no list. So we  still have no way of knowing what a
breeding
dog is or isn't.

Rushin  - As I've said before - definitely submit that as a comment.

WOW. The  inspectors are going to decide whether or not a female is a
"breeding  female". In other words we don't know until they descend on us
whether we  comply with this rule or not. I would suggest bombarding them
with comments  on this one and explaining just why YOU don't consider a
female a breeding  female until she is at least two years old and throw a
reference to OFA in  there.

The rules constantly refer to dogs sold as PETS. I know a lot of  us have
questioned this. I specifically asked if stockdogs such as cattle  dogs and
sheep dogs (in case they didn't know what a stockdog is) and  livestock
guarding dogs would count under the rule. They immediately said  no, they
would be exempt. BUT I understand in the AWA definitions these  dogs are
NOT
considered working dogs. Someone else brought up competition  show dogs and
I mentioned agility dogs - they hedged all over the place on  those
questions.

3 The number of four breeding females. Several  people tried to ask them
about (and were told this was a comment, not a  question) dogs being shown,
dogs in training, dogs kept back as possible  breeding stock but needing
health checks, evaluation etc. They didn't want  to even answer this one
but
I would say this needs to be hit hard in  comments.

They have three choices after this comment period. They could  decide not
do it at all. They could revise it. IF they reword it they  then can send
it out for comment again OR just implement it. They were hit  also on where
does APHIS get the authority to regulate commerce - someone  smarter than
me
might want to check that out too.

Last impression -  they are hell bent on doing this but are in some way are
considering the  comments - they extended the comment time 30 days, have
done
the fact  sheet even though it just confuses the issue more, and allowed
this
conference call. This last nine days they need to be hit hard  with
arguments against this bill to show it is not going to accomplish  anything
toward the welfare of animals and will harm buyers more than it  will help
them. If you have had a puppy shipped, now is the time to  explain why you
bought a puppy you could not purchase with a face to face  transaction and
why it worked for you. Hit them with the number of four  females and why
many intact females are not being bred. Comment here and  comment again:
_http://www.regulations.gov/#_ (http://www.regulations.gov/#)
!documentDetail;D=APHIS-2011-0003-0001
Subscribe  to this announcement only email list to stay informed regarding
all Texas  animal issues by emailing:
_TX_RPOA_E-News-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:TX_RPOA_E-News-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Donate  with PayPal or mail in:
www.rpoatexasoutreach.org

__._,_.___

_Reply  to sender_
(mailto:rpoa@xxxxxxxxx?subject=Re:%20Report:%20USDA%20Conference%20Call%20&%20APHIS%20Rule)
  | _Reply  to group_
(mailto:TX_RPOA_E-News@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Re:%20Report:%20USDA%20Conference%20Call%20&%20AP
HIS%20Rule)  | _Reply  via web post_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TX_RPOA_E-News/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwNnQ0Y25wBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNzg1NzEwBGdycHN
wSWQDMTcwNTA0MjQxMQRtc2dJZAM1MDIEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzQ0NDQzMzk
w?act=reply&messageNumP2)  | _Start  a New Topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TX_RPOA_E-News/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNGs4YnFyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEz
Nzg1NzEwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0MjQxMQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNDQ0NDMz
OTA-)
_Messages  in this topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TX_RPOA_E-News/message/502;_ylc=X3oDMTMzbGtzajIxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNzg1NzEwBGdycHNwSWQ
DMTcwNTA0MjQxMQRtc2dJZAM1MDIEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzQ0NDQzMzkwBHR
wY0lkAzUwMg--)  (1)
Recent Activity:
    *   _New  Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TX_RPOA_E-News/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnajcwMWttBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNzg1NzEwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNT
A0MjQxMQRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMzQ0NDQzMzkw?o=6)  2
_Visit  Your Group_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TX_RPOA_E-News;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMjY0anY1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNzg1NzEwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0MjQxMQRzZ
WMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzNDQ0NDMzOTA-)

RPOA Texas Outreach (501 C4  Nonprofit)
www.rpoatexasoutreach.org
Responsible Pet Owners Alliance  (501 C3 Nonprofit)
www.responsiblepetowners.org
900 NE Loop 410  #311-D
San Antonio, TX 78209
Donations make all things possible!