[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: Re: The old days of breeding.

  • From: blackhawkfarms214 <blackhawkfarms214@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l GSDList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:43:19 -0500

thanks for the lively discussion. Its interesting to note that some of the
things we speak of in GSDs are not "standard protocol" in my second breed
(Smooth Fox Terriers). While I will do a VC and BC to make sure all is
well,  most stud dog owners DO NOT AI nor do they ship semen. They also
feel that if the dog doesn't breed naturally, there are issues. Just
recently, I bred my Hannah  to a well known stud named Mac. While I was a
bit early for the breeding it was "Day 10". The stud dog owner did not want
to hear about "days".. he said, "she still looks a little dark in her
discharge and not quite swollen". I came prepared with my AI kit and asked
if we wanted to try. He promptly told me, "NO! Put that thing away!!!. If
he wont breed on his own, he doesn't get to breed."
 Went home, waited a couple of days, and sure enough she started flagging
and standing. Back to the stud dog owners, 10 mins, had her tied.2 days
later, she tied again naturally.  Now according to my "dates" this was day
18 and day 20. and technically she should be going out of season. But
according to the "dogs", she was ready then. The stud dog owner says, in
Smooths they will rarely AI a dog, they should breed naturally and if not,
take that as a sign that the bitch shouldn't be bred. I thought it odd that
with all the advances we have made in dog breeding a simple collection and
insemination could "solve" (note use of quotations) any breeding issues.

Mike

http://showgsd.org/mail.html