[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fwd: Re: Re: Bathing Question

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 10:04:10 -0400 (EDT)

I've had a few tough ones come to stay for a while over the years:)
Here's how the association game works at Pine Hill;  they get to live and  play
in a doggy paradise with the best of everything.  In return, I have a  few
basic rules; they need to come when they are called, no fighting allowed and
they can't act stupid.  If they want to act stupid, I set it up  (always)
that they self correct.  It takes one or two times for them to  realize it's
not going to work.  It's amazing how quickly and effortlessly  this works and
funny thing, they never hold a grudge against me because there's  never
been an argument.

Puppies started here are a different story.  They fuss over who is  "next"
for attention and that can be ear cleaning, dremeling nails, bathing  etc.

But I don't do barter system behavior...if it works...great.  I just  don't
reward behavior that is an 'expectation".  If they save Lassie from  the
well...maybe:)

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 7/7/2011 9:38:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
uwish@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I took a  totally opposite approach to this when it came to cutting one
of my dogs  nails.
When I got her, she was an older puppy and was very

scared of  having her nails cut.  She would shake and pull her feet away
from  me.  I knew she loved dog treats, so I took a few small pieces  and
made her lay down on the carpet while talking slowly and  encouragingly.
Each time she allowed me to cut a nail, she would get a  treat until all
of her toenails were clipped.  I'm a believer in the  "mind/body"
connection.  She was associating having her nails clipped  as being a
painful experience from before she came to me.  Now she  experienced it
as a rewarding experience.  Now over six years later,  she sees me get
the clippers out, she lays down without any problem at all,  knowing that
she won't get hurt and she gets a treat for her good  behavior.  It's all
about the dogs association with something.   Now she associates it as
something positive rather than something  negative.   Barbara

On 7/6/2011 8:20 PM, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx  wrote:
>  I've never had one act like that either but if I did I  would close the
>  windows so that the neighbors didn't think I was  murdering a dog, and
just get
>  on with it.  He's a big boy  now, if his antics get to the point where
he is
>    going to  hurt either himself or you, put a prong on him and let him
self
>   correct. For the dryer, it helps to put the table in a corner, so that
he
>  can't go backwards or to one side for that...I have had  adults here (not
>  mine)  who were stupid about getting nails  dremeled...funny, a prong, a
soft
>  nylon  muzzle and  ignoring their antics works wonders.  I just refuse
to   argue.

>  No treats...what did he do to be  good?????
>
>  Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
>   Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
>   visit _http://www.pinehillgsds.com/_  (http://www.pinehillgsds.com/)
>

>  In a message  dated 7/6/2011 6:09:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>   chstormdog@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>  Hopefully someone can  offer a suggestion. My 8 month old boy is
Terrified
>  of  a
>  bath. We have had him since he was 3 months old and he   literally
"freaks
>  out"
>  when you try to bathe him.  He is climbing out of  the tub, trying to
climb
>   the
>  walls, etc. He mostly hates when you turn the  sprayer  on to rinse him.
It
>  takes
>  2 people to give him a  bath. I have  never had a dog that acted like
this
>  in  the
>  tub before. We have tried  giving him cookies, treats,  just letting him
>  stand in
>  the tub without   turning on the water..He also hates the dryer just as
>  much.  I
>  don't know  what to do, any suggestions would be greatly  appreciated.
Now
>  he will
>  lay  on the floor  and let you use the dremel on his nails without an
issue.
>   Go
>  figure! HELP, He has his 1st dog shows  this  weekend!
>  Patti

POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.