[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: Re: Re: Bathing Question

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Showgsd-l' <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 09:36:32 -0400

I took a totally opposite approach to this when it came to cutting one
of my dogs nails.
When I got her, she was an older puppy and was very

scared of having her nails cut.  She would shake and pull her feet away
from me.  I knew she loved dog treats, so I took a few small pieces and
made her lay down on the carpet while talking slowly and encouragingly.
Each time she allowed me to cut a nail, she would get a treat until all
of her toenails were clipped.  I'm a believer in the "mind/body"
connection.  She was associating having her nails clipped as being a
painful experience from before she came to me.  Now she experienced it
as a rewarding experience.  Now over six years later, she sees me get
the clippers out, she lays down without any problem at all, knowing that
she won't get hurt and she gets a treat for her good behavior.  It's all
about the dogs association with something.  Now she associates it as
something positive rather than something negative.   Barbara