[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: Possible MSN letter to mass email all dog lists--

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:17:08 -0700

A letter example follows the council email addresses.   Please
crosspost and forward and do write the Parish council members.
Stormy Hope

Begin forwarded message:

> From: regel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  MSN letter to mass email all dog lists
>

> This letter speaks to the economic impact of MSN for people outside
> Orleans Parish. Please cross post to individual breed lists. The
> ordinance has been deferred until Thursday October 15 so start the
> letters now!!!  Lorraine
>
>  Council Emails are at the end
>
> In regards to the current proposal in Orleans Parish, we need to
> work quickly to let Council-people know that this ordinance will not
> be effective. Unfortunately MKC does not have a lot of Orleans
> residents.  We thought that we could email all dog lists that we are
> members of, but asked ourselves why would Orleans council people
> care what a Shiba owner in Virginia thought? They might if they are
> faced with reduced tourism dollars! We thought it might be worth a
> try. Also, we will provide people with the email addresses of all
> Council people and Mitch Landrieu who is in charge of tourism for
> the state of LA.
>
> This is the letter that was created, let me know what you think...
>
> Mary Ross
>
> Council emails:afielkow@xxxxxxxxxxxx <afielkow@xxxxxxxxxxxx>;
> <jbclarkson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> >;  <smidura@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <shead@xxxxxxxxxxxx>;
> jcarter@xxxxxxxxxxxx < chmorrell@xxxxxxxxxxxx <cwlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxx <

Dear Council President Fielkow:  I am writing you today because I am
concerned about the proposed ordinance in Orleans Parish that would
require mandatory spaying/neutering of dogs and cats over six months
of age. I am a responsible dog owner and I oppose this legislation.

Mandatory spay/neuter is an ineffective solution to animal control
problems because it fails to address the heart of the issue?
irresponsible ownership.  It offers no education, no solutions. These
laws are extremely difficult to enforce and can be evaded by
irresponsible owners by not licensing their pets.

Responsible owners who are already complying with local animal control
laws will be unfairly punished by this proposed ordinance, while
irresponsible owners, who are already breaking current laws, will
continue to be a problem.

Diseases that we have all worked to eradicate, such as rabies, parvo,
distemper, will experience resurgence as dog owners ?hide? their dogs
and not have them inoculated by Veterinarians. Animal owners, in
consultation with their veterinarian are the appropriate persons to
determine the medical decisions of their pets. With an ordinance such
as this, fewer owners will seek veterinary care. Some of the top
reasons pets are turned into shelters are: Owner is moving; landlord
issues; inadequate housing for pet; no time for pet; cost of caring
for pet; and behavioral issues. None of which will be solved by a
Mandatory Spay/Neuter ordinance. Reducing the availability of properly
bred, healthy and home raised puppies will ensure that potential
owners are forced to buy from unreputable breeders, puppy mills and
pet shops. These suppliers have track records of unhealthy, and poorly
socialized dogs and are commonly the ones who are turned into the
Animal Shelters. Reputable breeders stand behind their dogs. Many
cities have passed similar ?feel-good? legislation and have suffered
skyrocketing Animal Control budget increases and have not achieved the
promised results: Montgomery County, MD: Mandatory Spay/neuter law was
passed, then repealed, as a failure.  There was a 50% decline in
licensing and euthanasia rates declined slower than before ordinance
was passed. Fort Worth, TX: Ended its mandatory spay/neuter program.
Pet licensing dropped off dramatically, as well as a reduction in
rabies vaccinations, which lead to an increase in rabies. Los Angeles
County:  Passed a Mandatory Spay/Neuter ordinance and suffered a 30%
increase in euthanasia and a 20% increase in impounds. They also had a
decline in licensing and INCREASE in the Animal Control budget from
$6.7 million to $18 million King County, WA: 1992 ordinance was
passed; animal licenses decreased, while Animal Control expenses
increased from $1,662,776 to $3,087,350. Pinellas County, FL: Animal
Control budget increased 75% with revenue increasing only 13%. Shelter
intake and euthanasia rates increased after law took effect. Some
alternative suggestions: Work with local Kennel Clubs who have
experience in educating the public on proper dog ownership.

A much better use of taxpayer funds is to concentrate animal control
efforts on dogs whose behavior demonstrates that they are a problem
for the community.  Animal Control Shelters should be offering FREE
spay and neuter to encourage people to alter pets.   And finally: I am
not a resident of New Orleans, but I am a tourist, but I will not
bring my dogs into an area that may pose as a health risk. I will also
not spend any tourism dollars in Orleans Parish or any other Parish in
Louisiana, if this ordinance passes. I cannot support a City that I so
strongly disagree with their policies.  I respectfully ask that you
support responsible owners and breeders by opposing the mandatory spay/
neuter proposal.

Sincerely,