[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fwd: Petland fires back at HSUS

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:56:53 EST

If there are substandard kennels, (please read Charlotte McGowan's excelle=
nt
piece on "Watch Your Language"), in Ohio or California or New Mexico, I ho=
pe
they are closed and if abuses occur, I hope that the abusers are jailed.  =

However, HSUS is not trying to "save" the dogs, they are trying to stop pe=
ople
from "owning" dogs.    The content in the piece about what HSUS is *NOT* s=
hould
be spread throughout.   Breeders can no longer supply all the dogs that ar=
wanted by the public.   Breeders have been brainwashed into thinking they =
are
good people if they "only breed a litter or so a year,or even every 3 year=
s" then
require the pup owners to sterilize their dogs when the breder thinks it i=
healthy and safe.   So large commercial breeders are filling the gap, or p=
eople
are smuggling in pups and dogs from out of the U.S.

If Petland can take on HSUS and PETA, go for it!   We sure aren't making
headway.

Stormy
probably in a grumpy mood this morning
BUY "THE NAKED TRUTH" Calendar on line
as www.carpoc.org and read the AR quotes on each month's pages.

In a message dated 11/22/08 9:38:38 AM, campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> This is Chillicothe, Ohio btw.... right in the middle of the Amish puppy=

> mills.
> HSUS now has a video linking Petland and puppy mills and links the Medin=
a,
> Ohio store in the video.
> Joan

 On Sat, 11/22/08, Stormy435@xxxxxxx <Stormy435@xxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/article/20081122/NEWS01/811220313

Petland questions integrity of U.S. Humane Society The Gazette Staff =E2 N=
ovember 22, 2008 =C2=A0
A day after Chillicothe-A day after Chillicothe-<wbrbased Petland Inc. off=
ered a general
statement refuting accusations its stores support puppy mills, it issued a=
 more pointed
response against the organiz

=A0 The Humane Society of the United States, during a news conference Thur=
sday in Washington
D.C., said an eight-month investigation of Petland Inc. stores it conducte=
d revealed the company
supports puppy mill breeding facilities but tells customers the dogs come =
only from good
breeders. Petland's initial response was the company does not support subs=
tandard breeding
facilities and provides each store with guidelines on humane care of anima=
ls.  Both the initial
accusations and the company response were reported in a story done Thursda=
y by the
Associated Press. Friday, Petland went on the offensive against the Humane=
 Society of the
United States. "Reports such as those posted on the HSUS Web site surface =
every year around
the holiday season in conjunction with their annual fundraising efforts," =
said a company
statement released Friday. "Unfortunately, we were not interviewed or cons=
ulted, nor were we a
part of any of the editing process. This is sensationalism at its best. =C2=
=A0 "HSUS has a history of
publicizing false information in an effort to raise money. They do not ope=
rate a single pet shelter
or pet adoption facility anywhere in the U.S. To the contrary, over the la=
st 10 years, Petland has
adopted out more than 270,000 homeless puppies and kittens nationwide."

Elizabeth Kunzelman, director of marketing and communications for Petland =
Inc., told the
Gazette Friday evening the company is strongly opposed to puppy mills.

"We don't support them, we never have supported them," she said. "We want =
to do anything we
can to shut those down."

 Kunzelman said if there ever was any documented type of an issue of any k=
ind
 involving the chain's animals, it would be quickly addressed. But Petland
 franchisees, she said, are put through rigorous training sessions that
 emphasize humane treatment guidelines exceeding federal standards.

"Our No. 1 concern is the puppies," she said. "We're in this business beca=
use we love animals."

 Kunzelman said Petland has contacted HSUS requesting details and specific
 instances in its report, but said there has been no response.

"It's very difficult to comment on the allegations when there's no specifi=
cs available," she said,
adding that if HSUS had any proof of what it is alleging, proper protocol =
would have dictated that
proof be turned over to the USDA rather than hinted at in a press conferen=
ce.

The Petland corporate response goes even further, saying HSUS is "a wealth=
y animal-rights
lobbying organization (the largest and richest) that agitates for the same=
 goals as PETA (People
for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and other radical groups." The compa=
ny also claims a
member of the HSUS senior management team is a "former spokesman for the A=
nimal
Liberation Front, a criminal group designated as 'terrorists' by the FBI" =
and that several other
claims HSUS has made over the years are false.

HSUS started the dispute earlier this week when it said investigators visi=
ted 21 Petland stores
and 35 breeders and brokers who allegedly sold puppies to Petland stores. =
The investigators,
the group claims, also reviewed interstate import records of an additional=
 322 breeders, federal
government reports and more than 17,000 puppies linked to Petland stores. =
As part of its report
posted it to its Web site, it includes the transcript of an interview with=
 a woman claiming to be a
former employee of an Illinois Petland.

 Kunzelman said the only public response to the allegations that has come =
in
 to corporate offices so far has been a few e-mails from a form set up on =
the
 HSUS Web site.

 Customers who frequent Petland stores, she said, know what the store chai=
 is all about and have seen the care given to the animals.

"You may never know what results come from your action.
But if you do nothing, there will be no result."
Mahatma Gandhi
Stormy Hope
www.FairhopeGSD.com