[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fwd: Ou National is not kd friendly

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 14:22:09 EDT

In a message dated 5/13/05 6:55:57 PM, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< also I believe Ms Jr. Handler was born and raised in a different
country.....Ed Hil.... >>

Actually Melissa has been my next-door neighbor since she was just a toddler!
 Both of her parents came to the USA from Columbia, as have her aunts &
uncles, most of whom live very close.  Melissa has visited Columbia and is very
proud of her heritage.

Regarding her spelling, she's been doing our entries of late and hasn't had
any problems with spelling on the entry forms <BG>.  She can also spell
important words like "finished" and "Champion."

Melissa never really knew we showed dogs until she was about 13, (give or
take) and one day she saw me getting out of the van with one of our dogs and I
was carrying a nice handful of ribbons because we'd had a very good day.

Not too long after that, I invited her to come watch a local show we were
entered in, and both she and her brother came.  I'd given them a list of "dog
show etiquette" lessons, stressing that they should not say a word if my dog
did
not win because we ALL think our dogs are beautiful and deserve to win or else
we wouldn't enter.  Not only that, but if we didn't win, we did not want to
be seen as poor sports nor insult the winning dog and their handler & owner(s).

Melissa then expressed an interest in handling, and not only did she put the
first point on my male, she also took Breed that day -- in her second show!
She has worked very, very hard to be a good handler, and it was truly only
within the last 6 months that I found out she'd wanted to be a handler ever
since
she saw her first dog show on TV.  Her parents really didn't know much about
the sport, but they allowed her to go to shows with me, and handling classes.
We were showing in local shows for the most part, and last year on Mother's
day we attended the Wisconsin clubs' annual puppy/fun match.  Melissa showed in
several classes that day, and her mother was very impressed at just how much
work it was.  She was also impressed with the number of first place ribbons
Melissa won.  It was HER first dog show, and she was fascinated with all of it.

But Melissa's love for the breed extends far beyond the "glory" of the show
ring -- she was with the group of people who spent so many days grooming the
Amboy dogs, and quite honestly, she helped to keep a smile on my face, even
though she was just as devastated as the rest of us who saw those poor dogs in
such deplorable condition.  Of course, each of us fell in love many times over,
and Melissa was no exception.  She fell really hard for a very young pup, who
also got attached to her just as quickly.  She was quite willing to adopt the
puppy, even though she would not be able to show in breed.  But her mom was
leery of large dogs, never having really lived with one, and so she wasn't
allowed to get the little boy she'd fallen for.

About two months later, we were at the show where she got the first point on
my dog and she met the person from whom she bought a co-ownership on a
Cardigan.  Ginger, the Corgi, was just the right size for her mom to be
comfortable
with, and truthfully, her mom really DOES hog Ginger!  "No dogs on the bed"
went out the window within a week, as her mom discovered just how delightful a
sweet, cuddly dog in the bed can be.  Since that time, Melissa has been taking
my boy over to her house to "visit" -- but she's really prepping her mom for
living with a GSD - <BAG>!

Everyone in the fancy has been very helpful to her, and very kind.  I'm
really grateful for that, because it didn't take Melissa very long to learn and
surpass the little bit of handling skills that I've learned over the years.
Not
only has she made friendships with the other juniors, she's made friends in
other breeds as well, as we attend an all breed handling class where there are
about half a dozen other junior handlers.  She alternates between taking my GSD
and her Corgi to that class, and takes the dogs to our local GSD club as
well.

Not only does she keep her grades up, she also participates in other sports
offered by her school, as well as the choir.  She's one busy young woman!  I'm
very proud to see how much she's grown since the first time she held a lead in
her hand.  She's grown as a handler and as a person.  She's gracious in
Victory and in defeat, and sets a wonderful example.  Whenever BSL & AR stuff
comes
up on the list, she's writing letters as quickly as the rest of us.  Her love
and dedication to dogs is total, and complete.  Like me, she feels most
"herself," doing what she was meant to do, when she is with "her" dogs.

Her parents have attended quite a few shows now, and realize just how serious
she is about this sport, and back her up totally.  They have seen how much
work it takes, and definitely support her to their greatest ability.  Melissa
did not have the benefit of growing up in a show family, so she got a
relatively
late start for a Junior.  While she has a friend who also started at about
12, her friend's parents are quite affluent and can afford to keep buying dogs
for both her and her younger sister to show, and they show every weekend --
including LONG weekends where they need to take off of school.
Melissa earns her show money by doing extra chores, and dog sitting for
neighbors, and anything else she can do to get a few extra dollars here and
there
for those entry fees for her Junior entries.  I wish I had an endless supply of
money to back her financially, I believe in her wholeheartedly.  But she is
willing to work in every way possible to get to shows.  While I don't believe
that other juniors who grew in a show family or have a lot of financial backing
DON'T appreciate the advantage they have, I just know how much it means to
Melissa to earn her way.

We don't have children, but Melissa is truly a daughter to me, and I'm not
afraid to say it the whole show world - as I've just done : - )  And I'm sure
I've totally embarrassed her!  But she IS a wonderful young woman in so many
ways, I'm proud to call her my friend.

Don't even try to deny it Melissa - don't forget, I HAVE known you since you
were two, so naturally I have PLENTY of "growing up" memories and stories that
are generally reserved for parents to drag out in front of new boyfriends,
just when you really DON'T want to hear it - hehehe...<VBEG>

Kelly Busse
Wolfheart German Shepherds