[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fwd: Ou National is not kd friendly

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Scharo777@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:56:04 EDT

In a message dated 5/12/05 12:13:38 PM, Scharo777@xxxxxxx writes:

<< Today if a child exceeds the number of allowed excused
absences, they can loose credit for the entire semester.  So don't expect to
see
children attending the National, unless yo make it during a time that schools
are not in session.
An ex-teacher who had to enforce the rules.
Carol >>

I do find that very sad, especially for the kids who have a very sincere
interest in the breed and will be in dogs long after they are out of school.  I
suppose that like anything else, there are those that would abuse the privilege
of excused absences, and teachers must enforce those rules.  It's a shame that
the teachers are not allowed to decide for themselves what is an excused
absence.  Should a straight "A" student be penalized when their parents pull
them
out for a week?  JMHO, but I think not.  It's been my experience that most, if
not all, or our juniors are as dedicated to their schoolwork as they are to
the breed, as many are vying for AKC scholarships, and appearances at
Westminster or Eukanuba.

As I have a cousin who is a high school teacher in Chicago, I can sympathize
with the teachers, because I do believe that my cousin can decide for herself
the difference between a serious student who loses a week of school for
something like a national vs. a student who shows up when they feel like it.

Kelly Busse
Wolfheart German Shepherds