[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: H 2098 passed - the next step - your right to call for a Veto

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 01:13:00 -0400

-----Original Message-----
Please cross post.

  The bill passed the House June 30 (concurrence between House/Senate
versions) and will be on its way to the Governor.

  The amendment from Senator Snow exempted hunters from the fighting/baiting
provision.  The Wildlife Commission says the amendment also covers hunters
for training situations as this falls under WRC regulations.  However, if
you work dogs *not* covered by WRC regulations for taking game, you are now
at risk.  By exempting a single class of owners in a single activity a
distinction is made that owners of dogs working in venues outside WRC
auspices are subject to Class H Felony charges. Stock dog work, herding,
open field coursing and earth dog work could easily be construed as baiting
and subject you to felony charges.  With the strengthening animal rights
movement today, laws have to be written absolutely clear so court
interpretation is not needed.

  The addition to the civil remedy provision in Statute 19A was a victory
for animal rights activists and ALDF operating in NC.  Now they can charge
someone with cruelty, seize and relocate the animals, vet them (no limits
are set) before the accused appears in court.  While the third party
provision is not new, it is unbelievable to allow private parties the right
to violate your right to due process.

  The remaining option is to voice your opposition to the Governor and ask
for a Veto. Contact info for the governor?s office can be found on our alert
page.  http://www.ncraoa.com/alerts.html
  Phone is preferable over fax or web form as it would likely be the faster
method to be heard. Phone numbers: (919) 733-4240 or (919) 733-5811
(1-800-662-7952 valid in North Carolina only).

  Make a call this week and ask Governor Easley to veto H 2098 Protection of
Animals.  We need to be vocal and we need the animal rights activists to
know we are willing to fight.  If not they will keep pushing one step at a
time.

  I hope that everyone has taken time to read Professor Reppy?s article,
Citizen Standing: the North Carolina Experience.  It is required reading if
you want to understand the future agenda and stop animal rights infiltration
into our laws.  http://eprints.law.duke.edu/archive/00001151/   The article
is also now linked on http://www.ncraoa.com/HSUS.html under heading for
ALDF.

  Educate your friends on the remaining problems with the bill. Whether the
bill affects you personally is beside the point.  Make that call to the
Governor!

  North Carolina Responsible Animal Owners Alliance (NCRAOA)
  www.ncraoa.com

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
"A lie gets halfway around the world before
the truth has a chance to put its pants on."
~ Winston Churchill
www.rihadin.com